As one of the most romantic cities in the world, Venice enchants at every turn. From the Grand Canal to mysterious alleyways and majestic palaces, welcome to a real life fairy tale.
Holidays in Venice promise to capture your imagination in a way that’s unique to the historic floating city. It’s built across more than 100 islands in the Venetian lagoon. The fabled canals host everyday life, but the backdrops are pure fantasy. Lose yourself in the maze of narrow streets and admire architectural gems. Most of all, prepare for the jaw-dropping beauty that’s inspired poets and artists for centuries.
History and Culture in Venice
The dazzling Piazza San Marco offers a tantalising taste of the historical and cultural treats to enjoy on Venice holidays. More than 100 palaces line the Grand Canal and as many churches hide in the narrow backstreets. Discover Murano glass, Burano lace and spectacular Venetian masks. All four seasons dress the city in a different kind of magic, from summer sun to wisteria in spring and the evocative mists of winter.
Why book Venice holidays
Top attractions to visit
Canal Grande, Rialto Bridge, Basilica di San Marco, Piazza San Marco
Explore the city
Explore Venice’s canals on a gondola ride for the quintessential Venetian experience
Try the local wine
Try the sparkling Prosecco of the Veneto region
The town of Casanova is one of the most romantic destinations in the world
Sample the local food
Try seafood risotto, sarde in saor (fried sardines) & buranelli biscuits
Cultural hotspot not to miss
Explore Cannaregio and the Jewish Ghetto
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Venice holidays
Top 5 things to do in Venice
Museum-hop, island-hop or simply hop into a restaurant and take it all in. From city breaks to family holidays and dreamy honeymoons, holidays in Venice offer something for everyone.
- The Dorsoduro district gives you a glimpse at the real Venice among fantastic attractions. Visit the Gallerie dell’Accademia and people-watch in the vibrant Campo Santa Margherita.
- First built in 1792, the Teatro La Fenice is the city’s most prestigious theatre. Fittingly, it’s adorned in dazzling red and gold. Catch a show during opera season or take a guided tour.
- Stroll around the dynamic neighbourhood of Cannaregio, day or night. Fuel up at traditional osterias, then explore the Jewish Ghetto, the Church of Madonna dell’Orto and the Ponte delle Guglie.
- The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is housed in Palazzo Venier dei Leoni on the Grand Canal. Discover works from around 200 artists, including Jackson Pollock, Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dali.
- Include San Giorgio Maggiore on your island-hopping itinerary. It’s home to the brilliant, marble Basilica of the same name. Climb to the top of the bell tower for sweeping Venetian views.
Most Popular Attractions in Venice
Ready to tick off your bucket list of famous landmarks? You’ll find more than one or two in Venice.
- The most significant waterway in Venice, Canal Grande, is a breathtaking hive of activity flanked by glorious Venetian architecture. Discover some of the city’s most famous landmarks along the Grand Canal, including the Rialto Bridge.
- Piazza San Marco is nothing less than a show-stopper, so get your camera ready. Apparently, Napoleon called the famous square the ‘drawing room of Europe’. Shops, cafes and iconic buildings add to the splendour.
- A Gothic masterpiece, the Doge’s Palace overlooks both the Grand Canal and Piazza San Marco. It was the historic seat of power for the Venetian Republic for more than 700 years.
- Take an elevator ride to the highest point in Venice, atop the Campanile di San Marco. The bell tower is a symbol of the Venetian landscape and offers incredible views across the lagoon.
- Founded in the 9th century, Basilica di San Marco is a spectacular blend of marble pillars, grand domes and stonework arches. The stunning interior houses sumptuous gold mosaics.
What our local experts say
The best Venice city guide
This floating city is simply one of a kind. A destination which is both romantic and exciting, Venice has a combination of winding canals and classic opulence. This Italian city is also overflowing with famous artwork, making it a cultural must-see for art lovers. What else is there to look ...Continue reading
Top 5 alternative Christmas markets in the sun
The Christmas markets in the north of Europe tend to get all the attention over the holiday season, but there are plenty of fantastic markets elsewhere that provide plenty of sparkle – and, most importantly to us sun-deprived Brits, balmy temperatures! Yes, it’s nice to wrap up cosily and sip ...
Top 5 spookiest places in the world to visit
Halloween has rolled around again, and it’s time to scare yourself silly! We’ve come up with some of the scariest, spookiest, and darkest places on earth that can be visited…if you’re brave enough! Creepy forests filled with dolls, underground catacombs piled high with bones, death railways ...
Most popular Venice hotels
- Venetian Riviera
Your Venice questions answered
To be in the heart of the action, stay in the neighbourhood of San Marco. Dorsoduro is close enough to the major attractions, without the large tourist crowds. For budget-friendly Venice hotels, stay in the transportation hub of Santa Croce.
Top Venice hotels
5 Star Hotels
4 Star Hotels
- Hotel Biasutti
- Bonvecchiati Hotel
- Ruzzini Palace
- Carlton & Grand Canal
- Ai Mori Doriente
- Best Western Plus Quid Hotel Venice Mestre
- Borgo Ca’ Dei Sospiri
- Carnival Palace
- Ca' Dei Conti
- Amadeus Hotel
- CHC Continental, BW Premier Collection by Best Western
- Splendid Venice – Starhotels Collezione
- Russott Hotel Venezia San Giuliano
- Lagare Hotel Venezia Mgallery
- Hotel Saturnia & International
- Hotel Canal Grande
- Palazzetto Madonna
- San Cassiano Residenza d'Epoca
- Hotel Ca' Alvise
- NH Venezia Santa Lucia
- Principe Hotel
- Antony Palace Marcon
- Hotel Savoia & Jolanda
- Eurostars Residenza Cannaregio Hotel
- Kette Hotel
- Royal San Marco Hotel
- Ca' Vendramin Zago
- Hotel Palazzo Stern
- Hotel Rialto
- Hotel Ai Cavalieri di Venezia
- Hotel Giorgione
- Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo
- Palace Bonvecchiati
- Hotel Adlon
- NH Venezia Rio Novo
- Palazzo San Lorenzo
3 Star Hotels
2 Star Hotels
1 Star Hotels
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 23:24 24 January 2021