Sunny Beach Holidays 2019 / 2020
Sunny Beach is Bulgaria’s largest beach resort, located along a breathtaking, three-mile-long stretch of golden sand on the Black Sea. With an average of 300 days of sunshine a year, and summer temperatures frequently breaking into the high 20s, Sunny Beach is the ideal destination for a fun, sun-baked holiday with friends or family.
In addition to the fantastic waterfront, Sunny Beach is also a hotspot for fun family activities, water sports, and brilliant nightlife – in fact the resort is often referred to as ‘the Bulgarian Ibiza’! Away from the beach and party scene, the region boasts a quiet, historic side, ideal for visitors seeking some culture.
We offer Sunny Beach holidays to suit every type of traveller and budget. If you’re all about finding that perfect accommodation, kick-start your search by taking a look at our top hotels in Sunny Beach. If you’re more concerned about budget, browse the fantastic cheap holidays we have on offer. There's always all inclusive deals available for when your holiday goal is maximum relaxation.
Most popular hotels in Sunny Beach
Kuban Resort and Aqua Park
Melia Sunny Beach ex. Iberostar Sunny Beach
Aparthotel Royal Sun
At a glance
- Time Zone: GMT +
- Average flight time: 3h 35m
When to go
(°C) Avg. High Temp
In Sunny Beach, Bulgaria, things to do are never in short supply – from kid-friendly adventure activities to partying the night away.
- The main attraction for visitors to this Bulgarian resort town is the beach. Not only does it boast miles of soft golden sand and clear warm waters, it’s also lined with every kind of bar, restaurant, attraction and amenity imaginable. Hitting the beach every day is a must!
- You’ll spend a lot of time in the water at Sunny Beach, whether you’re splashing around in a water park, trying your hand at parasailing, hopping on a jet ski, or simply enjoying a swim in the sea.
- Family-friendly activities are plentiful in Sunny Beach. Kids will love playing mini golf and rushing down the slides at the various water parks. What’s more, the town is bursting with excellent hotels, many of which are all inclusive and cater specifically to families travelling with children.
- The nightlife in Sunny Beach is excellent, with a huge variety of bars and nightclubs to keep you entertained until the small hours. The best clubs here are located right on the beach, and will see you dancing on the sand, enjoying the evening sea breezes.
- If you’re looking to escape the party scene, head down to Nessebar, a spectacular old town that’s bursting with history. Located just a short drive south from Sunny Beach, it’s the perfect place for a day trip.
You’ll find all kinds of cafes, bars and restaurants in Sunny Beach, Bulgaria, ensuring that you’ll have some excellent dining experiences.
- Because the resort is popular with all kinds of travellers, a variety of cuisines are on offer, particularly at the all-inclusive resorts that cater to families.
- Don’t pass up the opportunity to sample some traditional Bulgarian fare! At the local restaurants you can try classic dishes such as shopska, a tomato, pepper and onion salad topped with white cheese. Other favourites include fresh fish (particularly trout), stuffed vegetables, and all sorts of soups.
- Sweet treats are a big favourite in Bulgaria. Kids will love yogurt topped with honey or home-made preserves, baklava (a nut and honey pastry) and garash (a rich chocolate cake).
- Wine has been produced in Bulgaria for millennia, and is the perfect accompaniment for a traditional evening meal. If you’re feeling daring, try a glass of rakia, a strong fruit brandy that's incredibly popular in this part of the world.
Sunny Beach family holidays are a recipe for fun in the sun. The beach alone provides endless hours of entertainment.
- On the beach, you’ll find play areas and facilities for all kinds of water sports, including kite-surfing and parasailing. You can also rent jet skis, send the kids flying on a banana boat ride, or even book your family on one of the pirate boat cruises.
- Sunny Beach is also home to an amusement park with a small rollercoaster and other rides, along with two water parks in close proximity to the resort.
- If your kids are into their history, take them to the ancient town of Nessebar to explore the Byzantine-era buildings and ruins.
- Because Sunny Beach is so popular with families, it offers all kinds of kid-friendly hotels. Many boast kids clubs, children’s swimming pools and playgrounds, babysitting services, and food menus tailored to the pickiest of eaters.
Sunny Beach itself is a modern town that was purposely developed with summer tourism in mind. So for a culture fix, head to neighbouring Nessebar.
- Nessebar is divided into two: a historic section and the town’s modern extension. The historic section dates back more than three thousand years and occupies a peninsula that was formerly an island. A Thracian settlement that became a Greek colony, this ‘museum town’ has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- You can stroll along the charming cobbled streets, now full of souvenir and craft shops, and admire the ancient remains of the acropolis and a temple to Apollo, among other historic sights. You can also see some of the few remaining 19th-century wooden houses.
- In Sunny Beach itself, a great way to soak up the Bulgarian culture is to dine at one of the traditional restaurants and sample some local specialities.
For most tourists, the beach at Sunny Beach is what makes their holiday truly special.
- This spacious, three-mile-long stretch of golden sand has been developed with convenience and comfort in mind. On the beach itself you’ll find abundant parasols and sun loungers, ensuring ultimate relaxation.
- The sea at Sunny Beach is warm and calm, making it ideal for little ones and adults alike. With lifeguards and a flag warning system along the beach, you’ll be in safe hands.
- Lining Sunny Beach is an assortment of bars, shops, restaurants and attractions, meaning you won’t have to go far to get some lunch, have a couple of drinks, or browse souvenirs. In short, you might end up spending all day at the beach!
- Other beaches in the area include Sveti Vlas, which has fewer facilities and fewer crowds, and Irakli Beach, which is part of a small nature reserve. Restrictions on building here have ensured that it has remained comparatively wild and remote – so make sure you bring a parasol, snacks and plenty of water.
The nightlife in Sunny Beach is said to be the best in the country. You can lounge by the sea, sipping cocktails at one of the glamorous beach clubs, or party till dawn at one of the mega-clubs.
- Unsurprisingly, Sunny Beach’s nightlife is all about partying on the beach. Most of the top venues are right on the waterfront – the rest are just a short walk away. These big beach venues attract some of Europe’s top DJs every summer.
- During the summer, you’ll have a huge range of nightlife to pick from, including bar crawls, foam parties and party cruises galore. Like most Mediterranean resorts, the season here lasts from May to September. Sunny Beach nightlife in September is a lot quieter, so if you’re looking to party, aim for the height of summer.
- If you’re travelling with your children or simply looking for something a little more sedate, there’s plenty to keep you entertained after sundown, from dinner music and karaoke bars, to variety acts and magic shows.
Sunny Beach is a great place for a relaxing holiday in the sunshine with your partner.
- You can spend the day on the beach topping up your tans, then kick back over cocktails at a beach bar as the sun goes down, before heading off to dinner at one of the resort’s huge choice of restaurants.
- If you like to party, Sunny Beach offers some of the best summer nightlife in Europe. Of course, Sunny Beach also has a mellow side, which means you’ll find plenty of bars and cafés to relax in.
- The sunset catamaran cruises are wonderfully romantic and tranquil. Another way to escape the crowds is to head to the wild and comparatively deserted Irakli Beach.
- You might find that the best hotels in Sunny Beach for couples are away from the lively beach areas, where you can enjoy some peace and quiet. Otherwise, check into a beachfront, all-inclusive resort in the heart of the action!
People also ask
Where do you fly to for Sunny Beach?
The best way to get to Sunny Beach is to fly into Bourgas Airport, which is a 30 minute drive away.
How hot does Bulgaria get in the summer?
Between June and August the temperature in Sunny Beach often gets into the late 20s.
How long is the flight to Bulgaria from the UK?
A flight from the UK takes between 3.5 and 4 hours.
What currency do they use in Bulgaria?
Bulgarian currency is called the lev.