JOD: Jordanian dinar
Southern Jordan Holidays 2021
Southern Jordan holidays transport you to top destinations like Aqaba, Petra and Wadi Rum. Home to a bunch of diverse landscapes and intriguing ‘Wonders of the World’, southern Jordan is one to scratch off your bucket list.
Discover the depths of the Red Sea in Aqaba, the Ancient City of Petra and the striking desert of Wadi Rum. So, whether you’re looking for a beach, rich and beautiful sights or a unique experience, southern Jordan offers it all.
Plus, it’s easy to get to as well! With cheap flights to Aqaba, you can be where you what to be for an affordable price.
Top resorts in Southern Jordan
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Southern Jordan holidays
Things to do in southern Jordan
There are three main destinations in southern Jordan, each offering a trip of a lifetime and plenty of fun.
- Aqaba – A port city located on the Red Sea’s Gulf of Aqaba, the city is also Jordan’s top beach resort. Aqaba is well-known for being a snorkelling and diving spot too, attracting visitors from all over the world hoping to witness its beautiful coral reefs and marine life.
- Petra – One of the new ‘Seven Wonders of the World’, the rose city has deserved its place on the list. Over 2000-years-old, Petra boasts buildings carefully carved out of its signature red rocks. As the previous home of the ancient civilisation of Nabataeans, Petra is well-worth the visit for its sheer beauty and interesting history.
- Wadi Rum – This desert lists dramatic red rocks, a vast sandy landscape and a strong Bedouin culture among its highlights. Ride a camel or hike among the desert sights including Lawrence’s Spring, Burdah Rock Bridge and Khazali Canyon. You can even spend the evening stargazing as you spend the night in a traditional Bedouin camp.
Southern Jordan beaches
If you’re hoping to get a beach holiday out of your trip to southern Jordan, you’re in luck! Aqaba is the best place to be for soaking up the sun and taking a dip in clear waters. On top of that, you’ll get to explore the Red Sea (a top spot for diving and snorkelling), which means plenty of colourful reefs and marine life.
- Coral Beach – A quiet beach with clear, shallow waters – popular with snorkellers and scuba divers due to its vast range of coral reefs in the area.
- South Beach – This is a popular beach due to its clear waters and coral reefs too. Many tourists make the journey to South Beach and its dive school is a hit.
- Berenice Beach Club – Fancy a private beach resort? This is the place to go! Enjoy all the amenities on offer including bars and a swimming pool. Plus, there’s plenty of water sports to go around too.
Southern Jordan family holidays
Southern Jordan is fantastic for families, specifically because of the wide range of things to do. Aqaba is always a great place to start, thanks to its beach hotels, you can watch the waves rolling in from your window. Enjoy as many beach days as you would like and perhaps try out the snorkelling on offer at many of Jordan’s beaches. If the kids are a bit older, a trip to Wadi Rum and Petra are not to be missed! There’s no doubt that the whole family will love a camel ride through the desert and discovering the local culture. Whilst tours of Petra are always worth the trip to the south of Jordan. It’s easy to be amazed at the architectural wonders that the rose city has in store.
Southern Jordan couples holidays
Southern Jordan is perfect for couples who love both relaxation and a sense of adventure. Spend the day at a beach club in Aqaba as you soak up the great weather and take a dip in the sea. Perhaps you might want to begin training in scuba diving. If that’s the case, South Beach is a great spot as you can learn and then dive right into the deep end and explore Jordan’s coral reefs. But when in southern Jordan, Petra offers a great experience. Walk through the Siq and take in the beautiful sight of Al-Khazneh. Ad Deir is not to be missed either! Then, head to Wadi Rum where you can check out major sights via camel or an exhilarating ride in a 4x4.
Southern Jordan history and culture
There is tons of history and culture to be explored in southern Jordan. Whether you head to Aqaba, Petra or Wadi Rum, you’ll find local culture and traces of history on display. Check out archaeological museums or walk the paths in Petra and Wadi Rum with a Bedouin guide who can give you insight into Jordan’s rich past. Be inspired by the architectural work of the Nabataeans and roam around the ancient Islamic town of Ayla which was the first Islamic city founded outside of the Arabian Peninsula.
Southern Jordan food
Southern Jordan offers a diverse variety of food due to the region being visited often by tourists. Many top hotels will feature a range of cuisines in their restaurants, from Italian to Asian. However, if you’d love to try the local flavours, there are plenty of restaurants to visit in Aqaba, Petra and Wadi Rum. They serve up traditional Bedouin cuisine as well as Jordanian classics. Plus, you’ll also find street food delights, which are perfect after an evening at a bar or club.
Southern Jordan nightlife
Nightlife in the south of Jordan is varied and suited to every type of holidaymaker. Fancy a chilled evening at a bar? Want to go all out and head to a club? Hoping to find a romantic spot with your loved one? You can expect it all in southern Jordan. Take on Petra by night and admire the candle-lit presentation of its main sites. Or spend the night in Wadi Rum under the stars for a truly unforgettable night time experience in Jordan. But if you’re looking for a lively bar and club, Aqaba is the best place to be. Stick to your usual home comforts with a trip to one of Jordan’s English British themed pubs or find a bar along the coast where you can listen to the sound of the waves rolling in with a cocktail in hand.
People also ask
How far is Wadi Rum from Aqaba?
It takes 55 minutes to get to Wadi Rum from the city of Aqaba.
How long is the flight from the UK to Aqaba?
The average flight time from the UK to Aqaba is 5 hours 40 minutes.
Southern Jordan weather
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 05:45 23 January 2021