Rome weekends and short breaks 2020
Rome holidays 2020 will introduce you to Europe’s most gloriously cinematic city, spectacularly beautiful and humming with life. Audrey Hepburn whizzed around it on a scooter in Roman Holiday and Anita Ekberg waded seductively in the Trevi Fountain in La Dolce Vita.
With such an extraordinary backdrop – ancient monuments, extravagant Baroque palaces, cobbled streets and pavement cafés – it’s easy to feel like you’re starring in your own movie.
What type of holiday does Rome offer?
While Rome’s long history is evident at every turn, this is no museum city living on its past, but a restless, exciting and thoroughly contemporary capital that is constantly reinventing itself.
You can’t help but have respect for the magnitude of Rome with regards to European history. To really feel how monumental it is, make sure you visit the Colosseum, the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel, and the Pantheon. Rome is a destination where a rich cultural history and gobsmacking architecture are never more than a few steps away.
This Italian city is also a popular destination for couples; visit the Trevi Fountain and more than likely, you’ll see a marriage proposal in action. Climb to the top of the Complesso del Vittoriano to see a stunning view of the entire city centre - do it at sunset to see Rome in all its shimmering glory.
Rome is great for:
- City breaks - Fancy a long weekend to unwind and explore? Rome is one of the most popular city breaks in Europe and is a great option if you are looking for a bit of summer sun.
- Cheap holidays - It’s perfectly reasonable to nip to Rome for the weekend due to the short flight time from most of Europe; ideal if you’re looking for a cheap and romantic couple’s holiday.
Rome at a glance
Top city attractions
Spoilt for choice: Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Roman Forum, Pantheon!
Sample the local food
Enjoy romantic al fresco dining and thin, crispy pizza
Try the local wine
Rome is filled with wine bars showcasing the best of Italy's vineyards
Sample the cafe culture
Start your day with a strong espresso & try a frothy Italian cappuccino
Cultural hotspot not to miss
Vatican City for its stunning museums & glorious St Peter's Basilica
Head to buzzing Piazza Navona for a taste of Roman life
Things to do in Rome
Things to do in Rome
Rome weekend breaks are perfect to keep busy and discover new sights. It’s impossible to miss Rome’s biggest attractions dotted around the city:
- The Colosseum - built two thousand years ago, it was the largest amphitheatre in the entire Roman Empire and survives staggeringly intact. The scene of gladiatorial combats, public executions and even mock sea battles, it could accommodate 80,000 spectators.
- Stadio Olimpico - home to local football teams AS Roma and SS Lazio. Rome wasn’t just the epicentre of the ancient world; it would become the heart of Christendom.
- Borghese Gallery and MAXXI Museum of Contemporary Art - culture vultures will have plenty more to get their teeth into during a city break in Rome, from superb museums to extravagant Baroque palaces and squares and, of course, the most impressive collection of ancient Roman monuments anywhere.
- River Tiber - Raft down River Tiber or ride a horse along the Appian Way. If you’re looking for an adrenaline rush, you can even parachute over the coast just south of the city, or get a birds-eye-view of Rome’s stunning skyline from a helicopter. Your holiday in Rome is sure to be thrilling!
Visit Vatican City
During a city break in Rome, it’s worth visiting Vatican City. It’s around a 20-minute drive away from the center of Rome. There are a number of sights in Vatican City as well as being the home to the Roman Catholic Church and the Pope. Vatican City is the world’s smallest country and is full of beautiful religious buildings, wonderful galleries and museums. Whilst in Vatican City, visit the site of ‘The Last Judgement’, a classic piece by famous Italian artist Michelangelo. This vast artwork can be found in the Sistine Chapel on the alter wall.
Top things to do in Vatican City include:
- St. Peter's Basilica
- Vatican Museums
- Sistine Chapel
- St. Peter's Square
- Castel Sant'Angelo
- Apostolic Palace
- Gardens of Vatican City
- The Last Judgement
What our local experts say
A European city break bucket list
When it comes to city breaks, Europe knows exactly what to offer. Striking cities brilliantly mixing the old with the new? Stunning coastal places combining the sophistication of a city getaway with the sublime comforts of a beach escape? Yes and yes, again! Quickly add all of the below to ...Continue reading
5 romantic places for couples in Rome
Rome has always been known to be a romantic city within itself. A simple walk around its cobblestoned streets, narrow alleys and major sights will show you how dreamy this city is. Despite this, when going on a couples holiday with your loved one to Rome, you’ll no doubt ...
Top places to eat in Rome
Rome is foodie heaven. Whether you’re looking for a family trattoria or pizza by the slice, the best gelato you’ll ever taste or a fancy Michelin-starred experience, this city offers up some of the best food in a country renowned for its cuisine. We’ve rounded up some ...
Most popular hotels in Rome
Your Rome questions answered
There’s a lot to see and do in Rome, but if you’re thinking about a short break to the city, 2-3 days should be a good length to stay in Rome. If you are stuck for time, find out how to explore Rome in 48 hours.
All hotels in Rome
5 Star Hotels in Rome
4 Star Hotels in Rome
- River Palace Hotel
- Nova Domus Hotel
- c-hotels Fiume
- Best Western Ars Hotel
- Marcella Royal
- Hotel Romanico Palace
- Hotel Pulitzer Roma
- Quality Hotel Rouge et Noir Roma
- Best Western Hotel Roma Tor Vergata
- c-hotels Club House Roma
- Veneto Palace
- Hotel Pineta Palace
- Hotel Emona Aquaeductus
- Hotel Delle Province
- Excel Roma Montemario
- Savoy Rome
- Fabulous Village
- Hotel Capannelle
- A. Roma Lifestyle
- Hotel The Building
- Dharma Luxury Hotel
- The K Boutique Hotel
- Regal Park Hotel
3 Star Hotels in Rome
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes