Remarkable Rethymnon holidays 2021
Streets steeped in history and a backdrop of the gorgeous Aegean Sea make holidays to Rethymnon a true traveller's treat.
Situated halfway between Heraklion and Chania, Rethymnon is a dreamy destination for a culture-packed escape. It’s Crete’s best preserved city and you’ll spot ancient history on every corner, plus numerous tavernas where you can tuck into an authentic Greek feast. A coastal location and string of golden beaches also make Rethymnon holidays ideal for those after relaxation.
Heritage in Rethymnon
Crete’s third largest city is a hotbed of Byzantine and Venetian history! Rethymnon breaks give you access to various sites which highlight its fascinating past, from 16th century castles and Egyptian lighthouses to ornate Ottoman mosques.
Why book Rethymnon holidays
Cultural hotspot not to miss
Don't miss the stunning Venetian Harbour lined with fishing boats and traditional tavernas
Discover the best beaches
Spend the day lazing away on some of the best beaches on Crete's north shore
Must-visit historical sites
Walk around the Old Town for a look at Renaissance buildings and the amazing hilltop fortress
Sample the cafe culture
End the day at one of the cafes around Rimondi Fountain in the Old Town for a coffee and lovely views
Sample the local food
Greek cuisine is a must when in Rethymnon, especially when you have beautiful views on the side...
Hit the nightlife & bar scene
Rethymnon livens up in the evening, especially around the harbour where you can bar hop
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Rethymnon holidays
Best beaches in Rethymnon
As well as a huge sandy beach right on your doorstep, you’ll spot other beautiful coves only a short distance away from Rethymnon.
- Rethymnon Beach is the city’s main beach and it’s absolutely huge! Beginning at the Venetian Harbour, it stretches out for at least 8 kilometres! The shore is lined with hotels, beach bars and other amenities.
- Head west along the coast from Rethymnon’s centre and you’ll spot Despotiko Beach. The small cove is sheltered and features crystal clear waters ideal for snorkelling.
- Koumbes Beach is Despotiko Beach’s neighbour. The golden sand stretch is very spacious and boasts several hotels where you can hire sunbeds for the day.
- Carry on walking along Rethymnon Beach and it eventually merges into Platanes Beach. There’s loads of space to lie down directly on the sand, plus several hotels with beach bars where you can grab a refreshing drink.
- Adelle Beach is situated a 10 minute drive along the coast. It’s backed by a few hotels and has a water sports centre where you can enjoy banana boat rides, jet ski safaris and parasailing.
Quiet beaches in Rethymnon
If you want to lie down on a beach that’s free from busy hotels and crowds, venture a little further on your holiday to Rethymnon.
- Hop in your hire car and cruise 30 minutes east to Spilies Beach. The tiny cove is accessed down a rough track and boasts crystal clear water, amazing rock formations and uninterrupted views.
- Geropotamos beach sits around the corner from Spilies Beach and is five times the size! There’s a handful of sunbeds for hire and a traditional taverna that’s a prime place to watch the sunset.
- While one of the most famous beaches in southern Crete, Plakias Beach is big enough to not feel crowded. It’s a 50 minute drive from Rethymnon, with the option to wind your way through the dramatic Kourtaliotiko Gorge.
- If you're keen to explore west of Rethymnon, put Kamari Beach on your itinerary. Hosting just one taverna and no hotels, it’s a pristine spot for sunbathing and swimming.
- A few minutes east of Kamari Beach is Vythos Beach. Its clear blue sea is good for snorkelling when it’s calm, plus you’ll spot a chic beach bar just beyond the sand.
What our local experts say
Top 10 places for a spring holiday
Winter is on the way out, so why not celebrate by planning your spring holiday? Lower prices, no crowds and plenty of sunshine make spring the perfect time to get away for a break! Whether you want to go hiking in Crete, soak up the sun in Dubai, or chill ...Continue reading
Most popular Rethymnon hotels
Your Rethymnon questions answered
Crete is blessed by hot summers and mild winters, meaning its summer tourism season is long. For the best weather conditions though, book Rethymnon holidays in July or August.
Top Rethymnon hotels
5 Star Hotels
4 Star Hotels
3 Star Hotels
2 Star Hotels
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 12:17 26 January 2021