Ras Al Khaimah Holidays 2019 / 2020
Ras Al Khaimah is one of seven emirates part of the United Arab Emirates. In fact, Ras Al Khaimah is the northernmost emirate and the fourth largest. It experiences a desert climate with hot summers and milder winters.
There is a lot which makes Ras Al Khaimah as unique destination. Jam-packed with adventure activities, sandy beaches and fascinating archaeological sites, this emirate can appeal to the likes of many holidaymakers.
At a glance
- Time Zone: GMT +
- Average flight time: 11h 10m
When to go
(°C) Avg. High Temp
Things to do in Ras Al Khaimah
The great things about Ras Al Khaimah is the variety of things to do. Whether you’re a history buff, beach bum or thrill-seeker, you’ll find something to keep you occupied!
- Dhayah Fort – This castle was built during the 19th-century. If you climb up to the top of the fort, you’ll be rewarded with lovely views of the sea and mountains.
- RAK National Museum – Located inside an old fort, this national museum features a range of exhibits relating to archaeology and history.
- Jebel Jais Mountain – Ras Al Khaimah is home to mountainous territory. On Jebel Jais, you’ll be able to whizz along the world’s longest zip line. Also, have a go on Via Ferrata where you make your way along the mountain whilst attached to an iron cable.
- Marjan Island – The island is the perfect spot for a go at some water sports like jet skiing and banana boating.
- Explore the desert – There’s plenty to do in the desert whether it’s looking for wildlife or driving over the dunes in a 4x4.
Ras Al Khaimah family holidays
If you’re thinking about a family holiday to Ras Al Khaimah, you’ll be sure to have an action-packed trip on your hands. Visit the National Museum of Ras Al Khaimah for a trip back in time throughout the emirate’s culture and history. On top of that, you might want to head to Banyan Tree Al Wadi Falconry. With a great spa within desert surroundings, there are also activities for the children to enjoy as well as the falconry show.
Top family-friendly hotels:
Ras Al Khaimah culture and history
The culture of the United Arab Emirates is grounded largely in religion, folklore and traditional folk arts and festivities including music, dance and art. Ras al Khaimah has plenty of social activities to enjoy that help you immerse in the local culture including dancing with live music, which is often performed by Al Wahabiyya drummers.
Some of the best attractions here for learning more about the culture of the sheikhdom include visiting the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center and the Capital Gate Building, both of which are wonderful examples of architecture in Ras al Khaimah. There are several annual events that are well-worth taking part in if you have some flexibility in when you can schedule your visit. These include the annual Ras al Khaimah Half Marathon, which was first held a decade ago in 2007, which attracts top international athletes. The UAE Awafi Festival is held yearly in the desert of Ras al Khaimah and lasts for three weeks either in December of January, its main attraction being a thrilling sand dune race by the best 4x4 drivers in the region.
Ras Al Khaimah nightlife
The nightlife in Ras Al Khaimah is centred on the top hotels. As with most of the entertainment in the UAE, the nightlife has a luxurious and exclusive ambience, with many of the hotel nightclubs staying open all night long and serving a huge range of drinks from the reasonably prices to extravagant luxury champagne. However, three of the biggest nightlife venues in Ras Al Khaimah are outside of its resorts.
Stallion Nightclub – Situated near the Hilton Garden Inn, expect dance music, commercial and Latin hits and much more with a night out here.
Bistro Amigos – Located near the Bin Majid Beach Hotel, Bistro Amigos is great for live entertainment and exotic cocktails.
Club 55 – For the latest tunes and a buzzing dancefloor, head to Club 55 for your night out in Ras Al Khaimah.
Ras Al Khaimah beaches
Thanks to its relatively unknown status, Ras Al Khaimah has some of the most beautiful expanses of sun-kissed sands and balmy waters in the United Arab Emirates. Some of the best beaches in Ras al Khaimah are those owned privately by resort hotels, many of which have beautiful natural lagoons and a wide selection of water sports on offer. Here you can enjoy fun water-based activities including banana boat rides, wake boarding and swimming. Try the Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort and Spa or the Cove Rotana Resort and Spa.
The shoreline is lined with luxury resorts, many of them allowing visitors to use the beach facilities with a simple day pass. Ras al Khaimah beach has a large expanse of deep gold-coloured sand and is very well-maintained, with plenty of sun loungers, parasols, cafes for refreshments and freshwater showers to clean the sand off. It’s easy to find water sports facilities in Ras al Khaimah, including equipment for hire such as kayaks and jet skis.
Ras Al Khaimah couples holidays
The sheer beauty of Ras al Khaimah sets it apart from many other holiday destinations in the United Arab Emirates. The Hajar Mountains are an exceptionally beautiful sight, making them an ideal choice for holidaying couples. They are the perfect place to celebrate a special anniversary or spend some quality time with your loved one. Plus, with the Khatt Village at the bottom of the Hajar Mountains, enjoy some well-deserved relaxation time in the Khatt Springs as well as a range of other treatments. For a laid-back day, head to Saqr Park where you can soak up the serene landscape and lush greenery.
Top hotels for couples:
Ras Al Khaimah food
Ras Al Khaimah is home to a range of fancy restaurants, in fact, it boasts some of the best in the UAE. Many of these top restaurants are based in top hotels and resorts where you’ll find a range of cuisines to enjoy. Some of the most popular traditional culinary offerings include herbal teas, falafel, shawarma and stuffed camel.
Top restaurants in Ras Al Khaimah:
- Lexington Grill – Located in Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, enjoy a range of beef cuts here.
- Pura Vida – Based in Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa, Pura Vida serves Brazilian cuisine, so expect a variety of cooked meat.
- Vespa – If you prefer Italian cuisine, head to Vespa located in DoubleTree by Hilton on Al Marjan Island.
- Umi – Situated in Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, Umi offers fantastic Japanese dishes. From seafood to meat, you’ll be able to watch the chefs as they prepare your meal.
- Basilico – In the Cove Rotana, at Basilico you can enjoy meat, fish and vegetables. It’s a great choice during the day or evening.
People also ask
Is Ras Al Khaimah in Dubai?
No, they are both separate emirates within the United Arab Emirates. However, they’re not far from each other. Ras Al Khaimah is a 90-minute drive away from Dubai International Airport.
Can you drink alcohol in Ras Al Khaimah?
Alcohol can be purchased at resort bars, nightclubs and restaurants where it can also be consumed. However, it is always best to check the foreign travel advice for more information.
What is RAK?
RAK is an acronym for Ras Al Khaimah. This is often how the locals refer to the emirate.