Portimao holidays 2021
Portimao is an Algarve destination with a difference. Its chilled-out city vibe, traditional restaurants and dreamy waterfront make for a relaxing urban escape.
Holidays in Portimao are all about sightseeing, adventure and going slow. The laid-back Portuguese city sprawls out along the Arade River and has transformed from an industrial fishing hub to an easygoing tourist centre. Wander tangles of pedestrianised streets to discover architectural gems like the Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Conceição, with its stunning gilded altar. Foodies will find delicious spots to sample Algarve specialities too.
Shopping in Portimao
Shopaholics will love Portimao breaks. Duck inside dinky backstreet stores selling decorative ceramics, leather accessories and trinkets. On Rua Diogo Tomé, chic clothing boutiques sit alongside alfresco restaurants, while Aqua Portimao Shopping Centre hosts big-name, international brands. There are plenty of markets too. Browse curios at the Portimao Flea Market or stock up on fresh produce at Portimao Municipal Market.
Why book Portimao holidays
Discover the best beaches
You’re in luck! Some of the Algarve’s best beaches are here like Praia da Rocha, Praia do Vau & Praia dos Três Castelos
Try the local wine
The Algarve knows its wine, so visiting a wine cellar while in Portimao is a no-brainer
Sample the local food
Portimao’s speciality? Sardines. Try them roasted with a side of batatas a murro (roasted potatoes bathing in garlic & olive oil)
Head up for some skydiving or keep it more down-to-earth with karting
Fun water parks
Keep the kids happy with a trip to Slide & Splash waterpark
Perfect for watersports
Jet ski, surfing, stand up paddle tours, kayaking, sailing cruises – what will it be?
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Portimao holidays
Things to do in Portimao
This Algarve gem is a joy to explore. You’ll stumble upon historic treasures, tranquil squares and buzzy waterfront spots on holidays in Portimao.
- The Ribeirinha is a bustling waterfront esplanade clinging to the Arade River. Wander the palm-studded path and soak in views of bridges and boats bobbing on the water. Look out for ice-cream parlours and kids’ fairground rides along the way.
- Want to delve into Portimao’s seafaring past? Nestled in an old sardine cannery, Museu de Portimao chronicles the region’s fishing history and traditions through fascinating displays.
- Portimao is a dream for motorsports fans. Autódromo Internacional do Algarve has a world-class racing circuit and a white-knuckle offroad track. You’ll even have a chance to get behind the wheel yourself.
- There’s ancient history to be discovered in Portimao. Millenia-old tombs await at the Megalithic Monument of Alcalar. The ruins of a Roman villa, including a mosaicked floor, are close by too.
- Bask in the summer sunshine in leafy Jardim 1º de Dezembro. This pocket-sized park has flowerbeds, cobblestone paths and an eye-catching fountain. Benches are adorned with tiles depicting historical events, too.
Outdoor activities in Portimao
Portimao’s dreamy weather is perfect fodder for outdoor adventures. Delve beneath the ocean or tee off at a stunning golf course.
- You’ll plunge into a magical world beneath the surface at Ocean Revival Underwater Park. Lying off the coast of Portimao, the park contains a huge artificial reef made from sunken ships. Explore it on a diving adventure.
- Want to get back to nature? Strike out to the Serra de Monchique hills, an easy drive north of Portimao. The forest-clad slopes are a haven for hikers and mountain bikers.
- Make the most of Portimao’s waterside location. You can get out on the Arade River with a guided kayak or stand-up paddleboard tour. The coastline, carved out with caves and grottos, is also a dream to explore from the water.
- Golf is a favourite pastime in the Algarve and Portimao has several idyllic courses. Bucolic Morgado Golf Course, set amid rolling green hills, is one of the best. You can perfect your swing at one of the putting areas.
- Feel the need for speed? Rent jet skis from Marina de Portimao and get your heart pumping out on the water. You can hire or charter boats from here too.
Most popular Portimao hotels
Your Portimao questions answered
Portimao is bathed in sunshine for most of the year. It’s at its hottest from June through to August, which is peak season. Want glorious, warm weather with slightly fewer crowds? Book your trip for spring or autumn.
Top Portimao hotels
5 Star Hotels
4 Star Hotels
3 Star Hotels
2 Star Hotels
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 20:28 26 January 2021