Ponta Delgada holidays 2021
The Azores Islands are a little slice of Portuguese paradise nestled in the Atlantic Ocean. Once a humble fishing village and now a cosmopolitan capital city, Ponta Delgada holidays glitter with promise.
On the surface, holidays to Ponta Delgada are just an idyllic island getaway. However, the largest city in the Azores Islands also packs an impressive cultural punch. From the moment you enter the city gates, your itinerary overflows with historic architecture, nearby crater lakes and tropical fruit plantations. All that before you've even set foot on the island’s volcanic sandy beaches!
Crater lakes near Ponta Delgada
As the largest Azores Island, São Miguel wears its volcanic past with pride. Nicknamed the ‘Green Island’, verdant forests smother its dramatic peaks and cradle what is perhaps the island’s most breathtaking sight: crater lakes. From the majestic Fire Lake to the emerald and sapphire waters of Lagoa das Sete Cidades, these mountaintop marvels are an unmissable highlight of holidays to Ponta Delgada.
Why book Ponta Delgada holidays
Top attractions to visit
Explore the gorgeous Harbor Front and Historical Quarter
Cultural hotspot not to miss
The Convent and Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Esperança is a must-visit
Lush natural wonders
See hidden Gruta do Carvão – an ancient lava tube!
Head to the outskirts for a tour of the pineapple plantation there
Top spot for dolphin and whale watching!
Must-visit historical sites
Why not visit Igreja São Sebastião or Museu Carlos Machado-Núcleo de Arte Sacra?
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Ponta Delgada holidays
Top 5 things to do in Ponta Delgada
Brimming with seafront fortresses and sun-soaked gardens, holidays to Ponta Delgada ooze intrigue at every turn.
- Your first port of call must be the iconic city gates. Made from volcanic stone, these 18th century arches tower over the mosaic-patterned central square and are even prettier lit up at night.
- Add some tropical flavour to your trip at the Arruda Pineapple Plantation. Here, a whopping 6,000 greenhouses showcase super-sweet Azorean pineapples at different stages of growth.
- Ploughed deep into the earth on the city outskirts, Gruta do Carvão is a subterranean lava tube forged over thousands of years. Guided tours take you through caves filled with geological formations.
- Peace and quiet await at José do Canto Botanical Garden. Immaculately tended rose gardens, mini bamboo forests and exotic plants offer a hidden oasis within the bustling city centre.
- Feel the earth tremble beneath your feet at the geothermal spa resort of Furnas. Just 45 minutes from the city, the bubbling springs and ground are so hot that local restaurants use them for cooking!
History in Ponta Delgada
Stroll through the annals of time on holiday in Ponta Delgada, where historic buildings adorn the white-washed streets.
- Built in the mid 16th century and still home to a handful of nuns today, the Convent of Nossa Senhora da Esperança is lavishly adorned with religious artwork, gold-gilded sculptures and azulejo tiles.
- Igreja de São Sebastião is considered Ponta Delgada’s landmark church – a fascinating blend of ornate Gothic, Manueline and Baroque styles. It also boasts the only clocktower in the city.
- Based in a former convent, Museu Carlos Machado is the oldest museum in the Azores. Combining natural history with antique trinkets, it’s full of surprises. Don’t miss the intricately-carved wooden altar.
- The fortress of São Bras once protected the island against pirate raids. Nowadays you’ll find a more friendly welcome as inside is the excellent Azores Military Museum.
- If you’re lucky enough to visit Ponta Delgada during Santo Cristo Feast, you’re in for a treat. Elaborate processions, decorations and flowers blanket the streets in a breathtaking display of Azorean culture.
Most popular Ponta Delgada hotels
Ponta Delgada weather
Your Ponta Delgada questions answered
While the temperature is pleasant all year round, the warmest weather and calmest seas tend to be between May and September. April and May are especially good for whale-watching. If you want to avoid the summer holiday crowds, try the winter months.
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 03:17 27 January 2021