Introducing holidays to Plakias 2021
A huge sandy bay lapped by crystal clear water and various natural beauty spots make Plakias holidays particularly alluring.
With its crescent-shaped beach and abundance of amenities, it’s no surprise that package holidays to Plakias are so popular. The resort on Crete’s south coast is famed for its nearby natural treasures, from the dramatic Kourtaliotiko Gorge to the palm-fringed Preveli Beach. Keen to break up beach time with some sightseeing? History-packed Rethymnon is less than an hour away.
Active adventures in Plakias
Love to spend your free time outdoors? Plakias breaks are ideal! The resort is close to several gorgeous hiking spots, including caves created during the island’s German occupation in WWII. You could also trek to waterfalls or meander down to a tropical hidden beach.
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Plakias holidays
Mouth watering Mediterranean cuisine is definitely on the menu when you book cheap holidays to Plakias.
- Plakias Beach is dotted with rustic restaurants where you can enjoy delicious grub and uninterrupted ocean vistas. Most are at the northern end of the beach, close to the harbour.
- Speaking of Plakias harbour, it’s an excellent place to sample freshly caught seafood and other local delights. The promenade connecting the port with Skinos Beach is lined with eateries, including Taverna Sirocco.
- For an even more authentic Cretan dining experience, drive up into the villages above Plakias. Both Myrthios and Sellia house charming tavernas serving traditional island dishes.
- Did you know Crete has a thriving wine industry? Order up a bottle of local vino at any taverna to go with your meal. There’s also the option of visiting a vineyard like Kourkoulou Winery for a tasting session.
- Fancy a break from Greek food? Day trips to Rethymnon give you access to various international eateries. Bite into tasty burgers, share a cheesy pizza or indulge in a spicy curry.
Traditional dishes and drinks to try in Plakias
Enjoy a true taste of Crete on Plakias breaks by sampling delicious dishes and drinks which are unique to the island.
- Dakos is one of the most famous meze dishes in Crete. It’s made by soaking rusks in water or olive oil and then topping them with tomatoes, cheese and herbs.
- Love rice dishes? Gamopilafo is very similar to Italian risotto. Featuring rice that’s been cooked in a rich meat broth, it’s then garnished with lemon juice and butter.
- Kalitsounia is the perfect snack to enjoy in between meals! It’s basically a pocket of pastry stuffed with cheese and spinach. Sweet versions with cinnamon and rosewater are also available.
- A more unusual dish to try in Crete is fried snails! Known as chochlios boubouristi, the small molluscs are tossed in flour, fried in olive oil and then drizzled with wine.
- If wine isn’t your drink of choice, why not try another local beverage? Raki is a type of brandy made from grape skins. Sometimes called tsikoudia in Crete, it’s the ideal after dinner tipple.
Most popular Plakias hotels
Your Plakias questions answered
The best time to book Plakias holidays if you’re after sunshine and balmy temperatures is summer. Due to Crete’s temperate climate though, you’ll also be able to enjoy beach holidays in spring and autumn.
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 19:21 19 January 2021