USD: United States dollar
New York Holidays 2020
New York… it’s one of the most dazzling and exciting cities on earth, with towering skyscrapers, world class entertainment, and a real ‘shop til' you drop’ atmosphere.
Situated on the east coast of the United States — a region that experiences hot summers and often snowy winters — New York is one of the best city breaks in the world.
New York attractions
Must see New York attractions include The Statue of Liberty, The Empire State Building and Central Park; all instantly recognisable landmarks immortalised through film.
There’s also the world famous Museum of Modern Art, a must-see Broadway show, or eating at one of many Michelin-starred restaurants.
New York is great for:
- City breaks - whether you’re looking for a long weekend or you want to explore New York beyond Manhattan, New York is one of the most popular city breaks there is. Its East Coast location means the flight time is a lot more reasonable than its sunny sisters in the West.
- Last minute holidays - summer in New York gets pretty hot but it’s a great time to explore Central Park or go on boat trips around the islands. Christmas is great for shopping and there is a winter buzz in the air.
- Cheap holidays - if you’re looking for a cheap holiday to New York, don’t forget to consider Brooklyn, the arty, creative borough nearby Manhattan.
New York at a glance
Top city attractions
Times Square, Brooklyn Bridge, Top of the Rock, Statue of Liberty
Start with The Met, MoMA and the Guggenheim
Fab shopping scene
Think iconic department stores, lively markets and small designer shops
Unmissable art scene
Discover Chelsea's art galleries or head to Brooklyn for a new-age vibe
Fine dining scene
A culinary capital boasting some of the world's best restaurants
Popular with couples
We love NYC's culinary scene, legendary theatres and top-class nightlife
Things to do in New York
Things to do in New York
Whether you’re looking for culture, history, scenery, entertainment, excitement, or total relaxation, there are so many different things to do in New York that there are plenty of top attractions to suit everyone.
- One of the best free things to do in New York is simply to take a wander around the neon-lit craziness that is Times Square. Sitting in the heart of New York’s Midtown neighbourhood, Times Square is one of the most visited places on earth, with larger-than-life adverts, street entertainers, and flagship stores.
- The ferry ride to the Statue of Liberty provides the perfect opportunity to soak up the amazing views of Manhattan’s cinematic Midtown skyline. It’s still possible to visit both the pedestal and the crown, although reservations should be made in advance to avoid disappointment (3-4 months is advised).
- New York’s architecture is unique, so make sure to stop by some of the city’s most fascinating buildings, such as the Empire State Building with its iconic rooftop viewing platform; the Rockefeller Center, which is home to the NBC studios; the art deco-inspired Chrysler Building, and the unusual Flatiron Building.
- One of the more unusual things to do in New York is to venture north of the park to the Harlem neighbourhood, where you can visit the legendary 1914 performance hall where stars like Aretha Franklin and Marvin Gaye enjoyed early success. Harlem is a true entertainment hotspot in NYC.
- NYC is famous for its museums, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, which is one of the largest art museums in the world; the American Museum of Natural History (which is free to visit), and MOMA. There are even a few unusual options, too, like the Houdini Museum and the ‘Mmuseumm’.
- For a little time out from the hustle and bustle of the city, head to Central Park which is a haven for relaxation. This gorgeous, expansive green space right in the heart of Manhattan lets you ramble through woods, stroll around a reservoir, row on the boating lake, explore a castle, or simply sit and unwind.
- You’ll be spoiled for choice when it comes to theatre and the performing arts in Manhattan. Home to the world famous Broadway theatre district, the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, and Madison Square Gardens which is a popular concert venue, New York really is the city that never sleeps.
Shopping in New York
New York is known for its shopping, with huge department stores, a variety of high end brands and little flea markets. There are many options to choose from when it comes to a New York shopping spree. Whatever you're looking for, you're bound to find it and have some fun!
Wonderful places to shop in New York include:
- 5th Avenue
- Century 21
- Brooklyn Flea Market
- The Strand
- Madison Avenue
- Chelsea Market
What our local experts say
How to have the perfect Christmas city break to New ...
With Christmas well and truly on its way, you might have started looking at top destinations to spend the Christmas holiday. Well, look no further than good ole’ New York City! The ‘Big Apple’ is one of the most magical and exciting places you can visit during the Christmas period ...Continue reading
Top Holiday Destinations for Teenagers
Finding the perfect holiday destination for teenagers can be tricky, but we’ve come up with some great ideas for keeping even the moodiest teens happy when travelling with the family. City breaks are a great way to travel with teenagers, with plenty of choice to cater to all interests ...
New York weather
Your New York questions answered
The cheapest time to visit New York is January to March. These are during the colder months in the city, but you’ll probably have fewer crowds and of course cheaper prices!
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes