Nerja Holidays 2020
Nerja holidays encompass the typical beauty of a Spanish beach getaway, with white powdery sands and sparkling blue waters set against a dramatic mountain backdrop. This part of the Costa del Sol — the sunshine coast — offers a more tranquil and traditional experience than other resorts in southern Spain.
Located in the foothills of the beautiful mountainous area of Sierra de Almijara, this part of Spain offers some of the country’s most incredible hiking opportunities, making Nerja a top choice for outdoor enthusiasts. It’s also remarkably scenic, home to the stunning El Puente de Águila aqueduct.
Whether you’re looking for sandy beaches, picturesque mountains, whitewashed towns, or complete luxury, Nerja has it all. For a cheap holiday, we’ve got some amazing holiday apartments in Nerja which enable you to stay close to all the action of this former fishing village… without the price tag!
Nerja at a glance
Cultural hotspot not to miss
Make sure you head up to Balcon de Europa viewing platform (once part of a castle) for stunning all-around views of Nerja
Discover the best beaches
A total of 10 lovely beaches along a 16-kilometre stretch - Playa Burriana is a local favourite
Perfect for watersports
Jump in a kayak or paddle board your way to the stunning Maro Waterfall
Hit the nightlife & bar scene
Check out Plaza Tutti Frutti for your nights out, a square lined with bars and clubs which will definitely spice up Nerja nights
Lush natural wonders
Take a tour of the Nerja caves which is almost 5-kilometres in length
Go on a road trip
Discover another of Andalucia's gems - Granada, only a 45-minute drive away and home to the incredible Alhambra
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Things to do in Nerja
Widely considered to be the jewel of the Andalusian coast, there are lots of things to do in Nerja, no matter what your interests. From walking and architecture to sun, sea, and sand, Nerja has it all.
- There are so many beaches in Nerja that you’ll be spoilt for choice if you’re looking for a beach getaway. One of the best beaches in the area in Burriana Beach; a sprawling Blue Flag beach of soft sands with a wealth of amenities and facilities to help you make the most of your day out.
- The 19th century Eagle Aqueduct is simply not to be missed. It’s actually one of the top sights on the popular walk from Nerja to Maro; a 45 minute route that passes by some of the region’s best sights and attractions, before ending in the quiet, picturesque town of Maro, dominated by its 17th century church.
- While Nerja is a stunning location, it’s well worth making time to explore other destinations on the Costa del Sol while you’re here. With the coastal town of Motril just to the east, and the lively party city of Malaga to the west, there are plenty of places to enjoy day trips along the southern Spain coast.
Nerja may well be small, but it’s home to some pretty big landmarks! And with the Nerja Cultural Centre bringing annual events for the whole family, there are lots of opportunities to learn about the local culture.
- The Cueva de Nerja — the local caves — are a main cultural highlight. It’s here that you can walk for 2.5 miles through the complex cave system that was once inhabited by Palaeolithic hunters, and view the famous Nerja cave paintings. The caves can easily be accessed by bus from both Nerja and Malaga.
- If you visit during the summer, you’ll find all sorts of local dance performances taking place, especially flamenco. Flamenco forms a big part of the Nerja Cultural Centre’s annual events programme, and this is a great opportunity to experience live displays of local culture. Kids will love these performances, too.
- The town’s museum, Museo de Nerja, holds various displays of artefacts from the nearby cave system, enabling visitors to enjoy a great insight into the town’s heritage. Kids will be fascinated with the skeletons and old stone tools recovered from the caves, providing an in-depth look at local history.
- Like most of Spain, festivals play a big role in the celebration of local culture in Nerja. Noche de San Juan — the Feast of St John — is a very exciting time in Nerja, with one of the best beach parties this side of Malaga. There’s also a great fishing boat procession for the Virgen del Carmen celebrations.
There are so many beaches in Nerja that it can be difficult to choose between them! If you’re looking for a holiday where you can sit back and relax, take a dip, and try out some watersports, Nerja is for you.
- Burriana Beach in Nerja is located just to the east of the town, and features a healthy mix of soft fine sands and pebbles. You can hire a sun bed and relax with a good book, or take a more active approach to a day at the beach, trying your hand at water skiing, sailing, or even scuba diving… there’s lots of choice.
- Another great option is Playa El Salon in Nerja; a fantastic family-friendly beach accessed through Nerja’s old town. The gentle slope down to the clear water is ideal for children, and there are facilities here including toilets, showers, and cafes. The promenade behind, lined with palm trees, is simply beautiful.
- The best time to enjoy Nerja’s beaches is between June and September, when temperatures can reach 30 degrees. At this time of year, the warm waters are perfect for swimming, although the beaches in Nerja can be more active in the cooler months than you might think, with visitors still flocking to the sands.
- If you want to stay close to the water, you’ll have no problem finding accommodation with easy access to Nerja’s best beaches. Whether you’re looking for impressive 4-star hotels or simple self catering options, there's a wide range of coastal accommodations that'll keep you in the heart of the action.
What our local experts say
Top 8 cheap holiday destinations for couples
Want a romantic holiday on a budget? Feel like bask on a stunning beach somewhere hot? Or fancy exploring a new city with your partner? Whatever you’re looking for, we’ve got you covered! You don’t need to break the bank to enjoy an unforgettable holiday for two ...Continue reading
Experience the Spanish charm of Nerja this summer
Located just over 30 miles east of Malaga, Nerja could hardly be more ideal for a relaxing holiday. Unlike so many destinations in this region, Nerja has retained its traditional fishing-village charm, with its whitewashed houses, scenic coastline and cafe culture all helping to create a laid-back, inviting ambience.
Your Nerja questions answered
There are no trains from Malaga to Nerja, but it’s still easy to travel the 42 miles between the two destinations. It takes just 1 hour to drive, or there are regular buses departing throughout the day.
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes