Mijas Costa holidays 2021
This 12km stretch of coastline is the perfect place for holidays on the Costa del Sol. With whitewashed towns, glittery beaches and gorgeous scenery, Mijas Costa holidays offer a trip to remember.
Sitting between Fuengirola and Cabopino, Mijas Costa is a fantastic summer holiday destination for anyone seeking time by the sea. Comprising three major tourist resorts – Calahonda, Riviera del Sol and La Cala de Mijas – the region has something for everyone, with historic towns, well-organised beaches and green hills ripe for exploring the countryside.
History in Mjias Costa
Largely built up during the 1960s, it might look as if Mijas Costa is all modern resorts. But delve a little deeper and you’ll discover some interesting history along this stretch of the Costa del Sol. Along the coastal path that trails the beaches of Mijas Costa is a series of tall fortifications. The towers of Calahonda, Cala del Moral and Ladrones were built between the 16th and 18th centuries to fend off invasions by the Arabs coming from North Africa. Today, you can climb some of them for fantastic views of the gorgeous coastline.
Why book Mijas Costa holidays
Explore the local markets
Head to the markets for a look at arts and crafts, souvenirs and plants
Discover the best beaches
Spend your days soaking up the brilliant Costa del Sol weather with beaches along Mijas Costa
Sample the local food
Have a taste of authentic Andalucian food at local restaurants
Love golf? Enjoy a game at one of the golf courses in the area, complemented by great views
Perfect for watersports
From jet sking to wakeboarding, you can do it all along the Mijas Costa
Hit the nightlife & bar scene
From chic tapas bars to clubs, you might even catch a glimpse of traditional flamenco dance
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Mijas Costa holidays
Beaches in Mijas Costa
Mijas Costa holidays come with the promise of 12km of largely uninterrupted beaches, with sand, a little shingle and plenty of sunshine.
- Butibamba Beach has soft golden sand peppered with broken shells and calm waters perfect for swimming. Restaurants and bars line the promenade behind, and palms offer respite from the shade.
- Playamarina Beach is the region’s top naturist spot, so if you want to feel the sun on all your skin, get your kit off and come here for a dip in the nude. The sand is soft and it’s backed by a grassy hill offering privacy.
- In front of the Ladrones Tower, Cabopino Beach is a pretty sandy beach with plenty of excellent facilities including sun loungers and beach bars. Take a stroll on the boardwalks amid the protected grassy dunes behind the beach.
- Calahonda Beach is a chilled-out option among the beaches in Mijas Costa, offering lovely golden sand and good beach bars for snacks. Kids will love clambering on the rocks to see what wildlife lives within.
- Another low-key option is Los Tajos Beach, where a laid-back beach bar serves up snacks on the sand and rock pools form among the geological formations in the sea. There are few facilities here, but the soft sand is well worth a visit.
Lively beaches in Mijas Costa
Mijas Costa’s beaches are largely fairly quiet, but explore a little beyond this section of coast and you’ll find a host of beaches with a lot more going on.
- Fuengirola Beach is a buzzing stretch of sand just north of the Mijas Costa area. Expect beach bars, sun loungers and a busy boardwalk. Families come here for long days on the sand, and the calm shallow waters are great for swimming.
- San Francisco Beach, also in Fuengirola, is another popular option. Plenty of vendors rent out loungers and parasols, and watersports outfitters hire out jet skis and more.
- Venus Beach in nearby Marbella is a brilliant spot for a fun day out. Boat rental and watersports are on offer, and plenty of great beach bars serve up snacks and cocktails on the sand.
- Fontanilla Beach, also in Marbella, is a long sandy stretch that gets busy in summer. There are sunbeds and swaying palms, and a lovely boardwalk takes you past great beach bars and restaurants.
- Between Vibora Beach and Playa Don Carlos is the world-famous Nikki Beach – one of the top beach clubs in Spain. Music blasts from the DJ decks all day, while Marbella’s glam visitors sun themselves on daybeds by the sand.
Most popular Mijas Costa hotels
- Mijas Costa
- Costa del Sol
Mijas Costa weather
Your Mijas Costa questions answered
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 07:55 27 January 2021