EGP: Egyptian pound
Marsa Alam holidays 2021
Palm-fringed beaches and luxury hotels line the western shores of the Red Sea. Holidays to Marsa Alam are renowned for water sports and adventure activities in Egypt’s Eastern Desert.
Once a small fishing village, Marsa Alam’s magical underwater worlds attracted divers from across the globe. Now, holidays to Marsa Alam feature all-inclusive resorts and tours to Egypt’s top attractions. As one of the Red Sea’s newest resorts, it’s still off the beaten path and offers pure relaxation on miles of sunny beaches. From the desert to the popular coastal resorts of Hurghada and Makadi Bay, this is a stunning base for hopping around the Red Sea Coast and beyond.
Outdoor adventures in Marsa Alam
Fabulous, all-inclusive package deals ensure you’ll settle in at a hotel with an abundance of water sports to enjoy. Dive centres whip you away to top Red Sea dive sites and you’ll snorkel straight from the sand. Go camel trekking across the desert and ride quad bikes to historic sites. The region is bathed in sun for most of the year, with delightfully warm sea temperatures to match.
Why book Marsa Alam holidays
Discover the best beaches
Marsa Alam has loads of beaches for you to enjoy, including the popular Abu Dabbab Beach
Perfect for watersports
Marsa Alam is home to some of Egypt's most unspoilt coral reefs, making it perfect for scuba diving
Fine dining scene
Head to Port Ghalib marina for a high-end dining experience
Great national parks
Visit Wadi el Gamal for a range of desert activities
Must-visit historical sites
Check out Cleopatra's Mine which was known as a spot to dig for emeralds and other jewels
Fab shopping scene
Port Ghalib is also a great spot for shopping, so make sure you pick up a selection of gifts
Most popular Marsa Alam hotels
Your guide to Marsa Alam holidays
Top 5 things to do in Marsa Alam
Whether you try new water sports, visit ancient sites or simply laze on golden sands, Marsa Alam holidays offer something to suit every mood.
- If you’d like to plan your holiday around diving, Marsa Alam is the place to do it. Never dived before? Shallow, transparent waters are great for beginners and PADI certified centres show you the ropes.
- Venture into the desert on a range of exciting adventures. Tours include 4x4 safaris, camel treks and visits to traditional Bedouin villages.
- Wadi El Gemal National Park is right on the doorstep of Marsa Alam. The park covers around 5,000 square kilometres of islands, mangroves, desert wadis, beaches and mountains to explore.
- Whether you love catamaran sailing at sunset, dolphin-spotting tours or fishing, boat trips from Marsa Alam provide something to suit you.
- Love windsurfing or kiteboarding? Protected lagoons are great for beginners and open-ocean swell brings the thrills for experienced riders. Consistent conditions and water sports centres ensure it’s always a good time to get out on the water.
Historic attractions near Marsa Alam
The spotlight is on the beach in Marsa Alam, however, it’s easy to get your history fix at fascinating sites nearby.
- It’s thought that Marsa Alam hosted some of the world’s first emerald mines, which were vital for the economy of the Roman Empire. Visit the ruins of mining settlements in the surrounding mountains and national parks.
- The ancient Roman Port of Myos Hormos was the gateway to India for the Roman Empire. Discover remnants of port structures in an area where artefacts are still being unearthed.
- A trade route from the coast to the Nile Valley in ancient times, Wadi Hammamat is a dry river bed surrounded by rock carvings. You’ll discover petroglyphs of reed boats, hunters and animals.
- Visit the historic city of El Quseir to see its 16th-century Ottoman fort and shop for traditional souvenirs at bazaar stalls.
- There’s no need to miss out on the famous, open-air museum of Luxor, with one or two-day tours departing regularly from Marsa Alam.
Marsa Alam weather
Your Marsa Alam questions answered
For near-perfect temperatures while on the beach and exploring, visit Marsa Alam in spring and autumn. Daytime temperatures hover around 30°C. For those who like it really hot, summer temps sizzle at around 35°C.
Top Marsa Alam hotels
5 Star Hotels
- Three Corners Fayrouz Plaza
- Malikia Resort Abu Dabbab EX Sol Y Mar
- Steigenberger Coraya Beach - Adults Only
- Hilton Marsa Alam Nubian Resort
- Concorde Moreen Beach Resort & Spa
- Jaz Grand Resta Marsa Alam EX.Resta Grand Resort Marsa Alam
- Royal Tulip Beach Resort
- Novotel Marsa Alam
- Sunrise Marina Resort Port Ghalib
4 Star Hotels
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 10:32 13 April 2021