Marmari holidays 2021
On the wild island of Kos, Marmari is a picture-perfect coastal resort with easy access to amazing historical ruins, beautiful beaches and a few exciting adventures suitable for all ages.
This laid-back, lovely resort town offers an opportunity to really relax. Ideal for families and couples, Marmari is the ideal base for exploring the island of Kos, where historic sites and beautiful mountains await. Sitting on the north coast overlooking a host of the Dodecanese islands, it’s a fantastic summer holiday destination with sizzling sunshine and warm seas for eight months of the year.
Adventure in Marmari
Beyond brilliant history and beaches, holidays to Marmari promise the opportunity for adventure. There are numerous horse-riding schools in and around the town, where you can spend the morning learning to ride, then take one of their majestic steeds out onto the beach and even into the ocean. Other watery adventures include kite-surfing or sea kayaking, and classes at the Marmari Windsurfing Centre.
Why book Marmari holidays
Rest & relaxation
If peace and quiet is what you're craving, Mamari is what you're looking for
Discover the best beaches
Spend your days laying on Marmari's main beach which even has fascinating sand dunes
Perfect for watersports
Windsurfers love the beach in Marmari, thanks to fantastic conditions
Hit the nightlife & bar scene
Enjoy the laid-back nightlife on offer with a couple of drinks at a seafront taverna
Fab shopping scene
Head into Kos Town for your dose of retail therapy
Sample the local food
Enjoy the tasty seafood dishes on offer at one of Marmari's local tavernas
Most popular Marmari hotels
Your guide to Marmari holidays
Ideally situated in the middle of the north coast of Kos, Marmari offers plenty of opportunity for day trips and island exploration.
- The Dodecanese Islands sit temptingly across the water from Marmari, so take a day out to explore them on a boat trip. Nearby Kalymnos and Pserimos are popular stops, and you’ll have the opportunity to swim in idyllic bays en route.
- Take a walk around the Alikes Salt Lakes. Just east of Marmari lies a huge salt lake with an easy walking track around its shore. Spend an afternoon strolling here and you’ll spot flamingos bathing in the water.
- Spend a day in Kos Town, the main resort on the island. This cosmopolitan area has a lovely harbour to stroll along and some of the best shopping on the island. Head to Eleftherias Square to browse boutiques and souvenir stalls.
- On the east of the island, the Therma hot spring is a fantastic day trip. At the end of a dark, pebbly beach, hot water rises from beneath the ground to mix with the ocean, creating a beautifully warm natural bath to soak in.
- Commune with nature in Plaka Forest, a dense wooded area with proud peacocks and towering pines perfect for picnicking beneath.
Explore history in Marmari
Evidence of Ancient Greece abounds in and around Marmari, with ruined temples and fascinating castles to explore all over the island.
- Up into the mountains south of Marmari lies Palio Pili, the former capital of Kos, now an abandoned ruin. See a Byzantine castle and the homes of former residents, who fled the town during a cholera epidemic.
- Nearby, just south of Kos Town, Casa Romana is a compelling place to visit. The 36-room Roman villa was discovered in the 1930s and an incredibly preserved piece of architecture from the 2nd century.
- Perhaps the most exciting ruin on the island, Asklepion is where the great Greek physician Hippocrates once practiced. Wander among history at the 2000-year-old medical school and healing temple.
- A gorgeous, leafy ruin, Kos Town’s Ancient Agora is simply staggering. Exposed by an earthquake in the 1930s, it was the town’s centre during the 4th century BC. Carved columns, staircases and mosaics now remain.
- Spend an afternoon in the Archaeological Museum, where Hellenistic sculptures and Roman mosaics are displayed inside an Italian-era building.
Your Marmari questions answered
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 22:06 11 April 2021