Malgrat de Mar holidays 2021
Look beneath the terracotta-topped houses of Malgrat de Mar’s old town, interrupted only by the octagonal church tower, to see a warren of streets, boutiques and bars that lead to its award-winning beach.
Offering the best of all worlds on holiday in Costa Brava, low-key Malgrat de Mar has an ample coastline, situated within easy reach of buzzing Barcelona and historic Girona. It’s also well-placed for families and couples looking to explore neighbouring resorts and the wider region of Catalonia in northeast Spain.
Historic highlights of Malgrat de Mar
There’s far more to holidays to Malgrat de Mar than simply it’s beautiful beach. In particular, history lovers will want to make a trip to the rustic, untended Romans ruins of Can Cua Aqueduct in next door Pineda. Then, head to the immaculately sculpted clifftop Marimurtra Botanical Garden in Blanes, curated by the remarkable German natural scientist, Carl Faust, from 1924 onwards.
Why book Malgrat De Mar holidays
Discover the best beaches
Malgrat’s beach is just one long white sandy beach…isn’t that exactly what you wanted?
Lush natural wonders
You can’t stay here without a walk down the seafront gardens – we love Marimurtra Botanic Garden
Water World is your one stop for all-day entertainment
Top attractions to visit
The Castell de Sant Joan de Blanes is a good site to see, but it’s the views from the tower that are even better
Sample the local food
The region’s speciality is the colourful paella, so go for it every chance you have (we would)
Must-visit historical sites
Here you’ll find the 14th-century Torre del Castell and the church of Església de Sant Nicolau
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Malgrat De Mar holidays
Top 5 things to do in Malgrat de Mar
History and nature combine in coastal Malgrat de Mar. Wander landscaped parks, visit ancient castles and time your trip to coincide with one of the many cultural festivals.
- Venture to the top of Parc de Castell. This scenic recreational space has been carefully cultivated with plants, a play area and splendid sea views.
- Admire Malgrat de Mar’s 18th-century Església de Sant Nicolau. This mini-cathedral-like Neoclassical-style church has many interesting architectural features, notably its incomplete bell tower.
- Get a bird’s eye view of Malgrat de Mar from Castell de Sant Joan, Blanes. The castle, with roots back to the 13th century, boasts some of the very best sea views in the area.
- Trek along the coast to the Lighthouse of Calella. Visit the terrace for expansive views and pop into the exhibition which details its history from the mid-19th century to today.
- Be sure to check Malgrat de Mar’s calendar. From the International Fireworks Competition to the Tapas Festival, there’s always something going on.
Activities to try in Malgrat de Mar
Take a break from reclining to try one of these activities on holiday in Malgrat de Mar. Challenge yourself to explore the deep sea and uncover the surrounding countryside.
- Hire road, mountain or e-bikes to ride around the region’s coastal or more mountainous cycleways, either on your own or as part of a guided tour.
- Hit the hiking trails of Montnegre and el Corredor Natural Park. Lush forested hillsides hide streams, waterfalls, wildlife and a network of walking routes for all abilities.
- Take the plunge and get your PADI certificate. Whether learning from scratch or advancing your skills, book a course in nearby Calella or Lloret de Mar.
- Try horse riding from aK-Vall Horse Center. Trek in the foothills of the natural park on guided routes with dramatic mountain views.
- Book a day at sea with Dofi Jet Boats. Cruise in and out of little coves, visit secluded beaches and stop for cooling swims, all from the comfort of a stylish modern boat.
Most popular Malgrat De Mar hotels
- Malgrat de Mar
- Costa Brava
Malgrat de Mar weather
Your Malgrat de Mar questions answered
The best time to visit Malgrat de Mar for hot and sunny weather is from late May to late September. July and August are the hottest months, while July is the sunniest.
Top Malgrat De Mar hotels
4 Star Hotels
3 Star Hotels
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 01:39 27 February 2021