Lisbon weekends & short breaks 2020
Lisbon holidays are simply magical, so what are you waiting for? Lisbon’s steep hills are steeped in beautiful history waiting to be discovered in 2020.
What type of holiday does Lisbon offer?
Not far from the Algarve, the ancient city of Lisboa, considered the oldest in Western Europe, boasts fine architecture, iconic views, and some of the best beaches a city break in Europe can offer.
You might find that a weekend getaway isn't long enough, in a week you can cram in the beautiful beaches in the surrounding coastline regions of Estoril, Serra de Sintra and the Costa de Caparica, and take a trip up the coast to the city of Porto.
Lisbon is great for:
- City breaks - Lisbon is a very popular destination for a city break or long weekend as you have the bustling, atmospheric city feel, alongside the option of a stroll along the beach in the sunshine. Bairro Alto is the best district for nightlife, if that’s what you’re after.
- Cheap holidays - Lisbon is great for a cheap holiday as you can often get some great flight deals to the city. Public transport is decent as they have lots of trams, so a car is not entirely necessary if you are able to walk, saving that extra expenditure.
Lisbon at a glance
Explore the city
Portugal's hilly, coastal capital has stunning cultural remnants and a trendy vibe
Top city attractions
Castelo de S. Jorge, Jeronimos Monastery & Lisbon Cathedral
Fab shopping scene
Shop 'til you drop along Avenida da Liberdade and Praça do Comércio
Hit the nightlife & bar scene
Head to Bairro Alto to experience Lisbon's lively bars, clubs and restaurants
Unmissable art scene
Lisbon is home to a thriving street art scene, check out some of the city's best work in Graça
Try the local wine
The city's best vineyards are west and north of Lisbon, known for some of Portugal's great-tasting wines
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Things to do in Lisbon
Top sights to see in Lisbon
Stay over the weekend at a hotel in Baixa, the heart of Lisbon, a short journey from the best attractions. Visit the following sights to make the most of your Lisbon city break.
- Alfama - Wander the narrow streets of Alfama, climbing from the river up to the São Jorge Castle, by foot or by Tram 28, which offers one of the best views of the sprawling city. The Alfama district, the oldest in Lisbon, is transforming quickly into the gentrified core of a buzzing European city.
- Bairro Alto - Visit this neighbourhood and the surrounding areas of Bica and Cais de Sodre to experience some of the city’s best rooftop bars, jazz clubs and street bars where you can enjoy a beer in warm, Mediterranean air.
- Miradouro de Senhora de Monte - Lisbon is set across several hills, this particular one is the highest miradouro (viewpoint) in the city, offering beautiful views of Lisbon’s old town, especially at nighttime.
- Jeronimos Monastery - Take a trip to this gorgeous monastery and explore the surrounding picturesque Belem.
- Chiado - Lisbon’s most sophisticated district, right in the centre of old town, and you’ll find theatres, bookshops and cafes in an area where people come to dine on Lisbon’s finest gastronomy. The next big thing in the world of city breaks, A holiday in Lisbon is one of our top picks for 2018.
Explore Lisbon's history and museums
Lisbon is Western Europe’s oldest city. Although most of the ancient town was destroyed in the 1755 earthquake, the Alfama district remained untouched by the quake and the resulting devastating fire. Venture out in the early morning to experience the city in its traditional attire, where you’ll find street-hawkers out on the street before the tourists arrive, and unearth hidden gems and quaint little cafes.
- Castelo Sao Jorge - Take a ride on the trembling Tram 28 and trundling funiculars up the hill to an old Moorish castle providing an excellent viewpoint of the Tagus river.
- Museu Calouste Gulbenkian - Lisbon boasts museums that are a little less stuffy than other European counterparts, and instead offers a vibrant and colourful take on its history and art. Visit this museum for a wide range of art on show, which is stood alongside the Centro de Arte Moderna in idyllic gardens.
- Modern Design Museum - Next door to the stunning Jerominos Monastery is the Modern Design Museum, representing the stark range of cultural delights to feast upon in Lisbon, from the ancient to the exciting and innovative. Cheap rent and lots of open spaces means exhibitions pop-up all over Lisbon, don’t forget to do your research, or instead discover them ad-hoc!
What our local experts say
The cheapest city break destinations for a last minute holiday
A city break is a fantastic way for getting your holiday fix when you’re short of time or just feel like getting away from the daily grind for a few days. And thanks to our great last minute city break deals at loveholidays, a short break doesn’t have ...
Top destinations for women travelling solo
More women than ever before are travelling solo – and why not? Travelling solo means being able to do exactly what you want, exactly when you want to do it! And it’s easier to connect with new people you’re not travelling with a partner, the family or a group ...
Your Lisbon questions answered
Lisbon isn’t your typical Portuguese beach holiday. In fact, the city is more suited to those hoping for sightseeing, history, culture and all the typical city break things to do. However, there are beaches near Lisbon, the closest is about a 30-minute drive.
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes