Lagos Holidays 2021
A buzzy resort town on Portugal’s south coast, Lagos is all sun, seafood and yellow-sand beaches. Add in historic monuments and family attractions and you’ve got an unforgettable Algarve escape.
This is the Algarve on a platter. On holidays in Lagos you’ll explore incredible chunks of the coast, from grotto-filled coves to endless stretches of golden powder. You can spend hours getting lost in the town’s historic core too. Here cobbled streets are lined with centuries-old churches and encased in hulking 16th-century walls.
Walking adventures in Lagos
From gentle strolls to boots-on adventures, Lagos and its surroundings are a haven for walkers. Soak up Lagos’s stunning coastal scenery with a hike up on the cliffs. Farther west, there’s a jaw-dropping route with Atlantic views between the villages of Praia da Luz and Burgau. Away from the coast, the National Forest of Barão de São João offers tranquil trails amid pine and eucalyptus trees.
Why book Lagos holidays
Discover the best beaches
We especially love the sandy bay of Porto de Mós Beach
Top attractions to visit
Ponta de Piedade, 18th century Church of Igreja de Santo António, Castelo dos Governadores
Sample the local food
How about chicken piri-piri, fresh sardines and a glass of local port?
Hit the nightlife & bar scene
Head to the Old Town’s main strip for the great night scene
From family boat trips to Slide and Splash, there’s family fun in droves
Rest & relaxation
Enjoy top spa and pampering facilities at Lagos’ best resorts
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Lagos holidays
You’ll have a packed itinerary on holidays in Lagos. The Algarve bolthole has an attraction-packed waterfront and beauty spots galore.
- Make a beeline for Avenida dos Descobrimentos, the charming, cobbled promenade that hugs the Bensafrim River. Time your stroll for sunset or grab an ice-cream for a sun-drenched afternoon walk.
- Pinch-me views await at Ponta da Piedade. The rugged headland is known for its butterscotch cliffs, craggy grottoes and picturesque lighthouse. A hot air balloon ride is an epic way to take in the landscape.
- Lagos punches above its weight when it comes to artwork. You’ll find a handful of avant-garde galleries and artists’ residences across town. Keep your eyes peeled for striking murals too.
- Golfers love the Algarve and pretty Lagos holds its own. Tee off at challenging golf courses with stellar views over the water and to the distant Monchique Hills.
- Fancy a day trip? The bucolic town of Silves is a favourite with history buffs. The ancient capital of the Algarve Kingdom, it’s home to time-honoured treasures including a labyrinthine red-brick castle.
Exploring history in Lagos
You can travel back in time on holidays in Lagos. From ornate churches to a brooding fort, Lagos’s historic sites tell fascinating stories.
- Forte da Ponta da Bandeira is a must-visit for history lovers. The mighty, 17th-century structure features a moat, a museum with art displays and well-preserved ramparts. You’ll get incredible views across Lagos too.
- Duck inside Mercado dos Escravos for a sombre history lesson. This building was the home of a former slave market. Now it’s filled with poignant exhibitions and artworks.
- The Museu Regional de Lagos leaves few stones unturned. Pore over historic Portuguese coins, Roman relics and displays that chronicle the history of Lagos itself.
- Lagos is filled with sacred treasures. Architecture fans will marvel at Igreja de Santa Maria, with its striking bell tower and Renaissance-era doorway. Peek inside Igreja de Santo António to see incredible gilding and grand vaulted ceilings too.
- Harking back to the 1600s, Castelo dos Governadores is well worth a stop. Gaze up at the imposing, crenellated walls and spot the Manueline window. The castle still bears the arms of the Kingdom of the Algarve too.
What our local experts say
Top 8 cheap holiday destinations for couples
Want a romantic holiday on a budget? Feel like bask on a stunning beach somewhere hot? Or fancy exploring a new city with your partner? Whatever you’re looking for, we’ve got you covered! You don’t need to break the bank to enjoy an unforgettable holiday for two ...Continue reading
Most popular Lagos hotels
Your Lagos questions answered
Lagos has hot summers and relatively warm winters, so it’s a joy to visit year round. Want to bask on the beach? Lagos is at its sunniest in peak season, from June through to August. Keen sightseers might prefer the slightly cooler climes of spring and autumn.
Top Lagos hotels
5 Star Hotels
4 Star Hotels
3 Star Hotels
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 13:32 20 January 2021