Laganas Holidays 2019 / 2020
Laganas holidays are filled with fun-loving holidaymakers soaking up the Greek sun. It boasts sandy beaches and great nightlife. On top of that, Laganas is also home to natural beauty, the island’s steep cliffs are perfect hiking locations for the adventurous. Meanwhile, history oozes from every pore, making it a perfect holiday for beach bums and history buffs alike.
Most popular hotels in Laganas
Majestic Spa Hotel
Village Inn Studios and Apartments
Mariana Hotel and Studios
White Olive Premium Hotel
Castelli Hotel Adults Only - All Inclusive
At a glance
- Time Zone: GMT +
- Average flight time: 3h 30m
When to go
(°C) Avg. High Temp
Things to do in Laganas
A trip to Laganas allows visitors a glimpse into the great history of the island. The island’s Venetian influence can be seen in its old and new architecture and a visit to the town’s Venetian castle offers spectacular views of the old ruins.
- Zakynthos Town – Explore the wonders of this city including its quaint plazas and cafes, they’re beautiful spots to enjoy during a day out in the sun.
- Agios Dionysios Church – Built in 1708, see the remains of the town’s patron saint here.
- Blue Caves – Named because of the sky and water’s reflection on the walls, in a glass-bottom boat. These caves are the perfect remedy for getting out into the sea and going on a coastal boat trip.
- Tvilisi Water Park – This makes for a fun day out with the kids where they can splash about in swimming pools and whizz down water slides.
Laganas family holidays
Family holidays in Laganas are perfect for sun worshipping at the beach, with the resort’s miles of sandy shores ideal for families of all sizes and shapes. Parents and children can take to the seas for watersports galore. Boating, fishing, surfing and jet-skiing are all at visitors’ fingertips during holidays in Laganas.
Exploring Zakynthos' rugged landscape is a great way to see the island. Hiking and horse riding in the mountains and hills gives everyone a new perspective on the island. If everyone's feet become too tired, enjoy a jeep safari around the resort to see some of the local ruins. If the kids get too hot from all of the exploring, cool off in Sarakinado's wet and wild water park. It is the largest of the island's water parks and it will leave everyone with a smile on their faces.
Top family-friendly hotels:
Laganas history and culture
The island of Zakynthos is steeped in Greek mythology. From Artemis and Apollo to the War of Troy, the island has a fantastic history that dates back centuries.
The island has had numerous rulers from the Romans to the Venetians to more modern days with Britain taking control. Each has had its influence on the area, and those influences can still be seen today. Unfortunately, an earthquake in 1953 wiped out some of the island's older, more fragile architecture. But what survived has been complimented by newer buildings that resemble the old.
Today, locals continue to celebrate their past, despite Laganas' move into modern times. While it may be a tourist hotspot, generations of Greeks continue to recognise its history. Carnival and St. Dionisios Celebrations are two of the biggest events during the year. Visitors can experience a true Greek Island celebration during this time. Saint Dionisios is Zakynthos' patron saint, and twice a year the islanders pay homage to him.
Laganas holidays are known as a great destination for a continuous party atmosphere. By night, guests will find more than 100 bars to choose from along the ‘Golden Mile’. The area attracts famous DJs from around the world to its bars and clubs. There, visitors can dance the night away or find a cool spot to chill out as they escape the Greek heat.
- Sugar - One of Laganas' most popular night spots is Sugar. With its great music, outdoor seating and fruity cocktails, travellers will be happy to stay all night.
- The Pub – This is a great place for a relaxed drink, with a buzzing atmosphere and loads of drinks, you can’t go wrong.
- Cheeky Tikis Bar – This bar is perfect for a group of friends looking for cheap drinks and cocktails.
Zante’s beaches are perfect for every type of holidaymaker. Some beaches have shallow waters which is great for when the little ones are tagging along. But Zante is most-known for its turquoise waters which are simply enticing.
- Laganas Beach – The largest on the island and considered one of the best spots to soak up the sun on Zante. Nature lovers will find the largest breeding ground in Europe for loggerhead turtles between June and August at Laganas Beach.
- Agios Nikolaos Beach – Visitors that want to explore their surroundings can find adventure at this beach. Just 32 kilometres from Zakynthos Town, Agios Nikolaos is one of the most exciting beaches located on the island. Restaurants, bars and a plentiful helping of watersports are all on hand when visiting.
- Shipwreck Beach – Another of the island’s sandy spots. Surrounded by cliffs, this white pebble beach is secluded, especially after day trippers head back to their hotels in the afternoon. It gives visitors some privacy away from the beach going crowds. Shipwreck Beach is so secluded, guests need a boat taxi to take them ashore.
- Argassi Beach – 15-minutes away from Laganas, Argassi Beach was made for thrill-seekers. Enjoy everything from jet-skiing to banana boats.
Laganas couples holidays
A Laganas holiday is perfect for couples. Spend days lounging on the beach soaking up the sun and surf before heading out for a romantic dinner and drinks. Couples looking for non-stop fun will love the variety of bars and restaurants to go to when the sun goes down.
Those that want something a little bit more relaxed will enjoy evening beach strolls and cafes serving fine Greek cuisine. It is difficult not to be consumed by the romantic atmosphere of Zakynthos Town as couples walk its small streets and alleys. Stop off at a cozy café for a coffee or cocktail to watch the world go by.
After living the picturesque town, couples can find a quiet beach spot, like the one at Shipwreck Beach. There, the romance of the island truly comes alive and couples will fall in love all over again.
Top hotels for couples:
Restaurants in Laganas
Visitors will find traditional Greek food on a Laganas holiday. Yet locals love to spice things up and many traditional Greek dishes will be kicked up a notch with some spice thrown in. Many of the meals visitors find in local restaurants are the same recipes that the town's residents have been eating for decades.
Be ready for plenty of olive oil when tucking into the cuisine in Laganas. The liquid is the heart and soul of Greek cooking and cooks all over the island make hearty use of it. Much of the food is organic and the local farms sell directly to the restaurants. Many of the items eaten by visitors were grown around Laganas, which makes some items unavailable at certain times of the year. Tourists can sink their teeth into feta covered Greek salads to kick off any meal. Follow it up with freshly made Moussaka and red wine. Satisfy sweet cravings with baklava and a coffee for a true Greek dining experience.
Top restaurants in Laganas:
- Popolaros Tavern – A traditional Greek taverna which not only serves up tasty Greek dishes but also has live Greek music every night too.
- Akropolis Restaurant – Enjoy great tasting traditional food as well as a lovely, warm atmosphere and setting.
- Kohili Fish Taverna – If you consider yourself a seafood fan, this taverna offers tasty seafood options like grilled octopus or prawns.
- Sanpiero – Visit Sanpierto for amazing food, a great location and breath-taking views.
- Friends – A great cheap option in Laganas, Friends has a variety of meals suitable for everyone.
People also ask
When is the best time to go to Laganas?
The best time to visit the resort is between April and September.
Is Laganas good for a clubbing holiday?
Yes, Laganas holidays offer visitors a variety of clubs and bars.
What is the hottest month in Laganas?
August is the hottest month.