Set on the beautiful island of Kefalonia, sleepy Katelios is among the Greek Islands’ most relaxed villages. If you want to escape crowded beaches and big resorts, Katelios breaks are the ideal choice.
Kefalonia is the largest of the Ionian Islands, set close to mainland Greece. Katelios sits near the island’s southern tip, facing Zakynthos. Once a fishing village, it’s now home to a growing number of villas and small hotels, set back from a narrow beach towards the mountains. When it comes to peace, quiet and tranquility, Katelios holidays are one of Greece’s best-kept secrets.
Nature in Katelios
Kefalonia is not only one of the biggest Ionian Islands, but one of the archipelago’s most unspoiled. Wildlife flourishes in both the rocky interior and its wild, romantic coves. Mediterranean loggerhead sea turtles nest on its beaches near Katelios, while inland the National Park of Mount Ainos protects wild horses, vultures and falcons.
Why book Katelios holidays
Discover the best beaches
You'll enjoy the sand and shingle Agia Vavara Beach in Katelios
Perfect for watersports
Enjoy a more thrilling time at the beach with a variety of fun watersports
Sample the local food
As a fishing village, Katelios has a lot of tasty seafood dishes to devour
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Katelios holidays
Top 5 things to do in Katelios
Relaxation reigns supreme on Katelios breaks, where days can centre on little more than strolling between your bed and the beach.
- The Ionian Sea stays around a balmy 20oC from June to October. Katelios beach is well set up for sunbathing, with loungers for hire, a beach shower and plenty of space to spread out a towel.
- Katelios’s gently sloping shallows are calm enough for kids to swim in year-round. Pack snorkels and masks to explore beyond the sea grass offshore.
- Nightlife in Katelios is low-key, with a handful of good tavernas and bars near the beach. Many package holidays to Katelios only include breakfast, so you’ll be free to explore local spots in the evenings.
- You can learn more about the loggerhead turtles that nest on Kefalonia’s beaches with the help of community organisations such the Katelios Group, who lead sustainable development in and around the village.
- If you’re staying longer than a week, hire a car in Katelios and set off to discover more of the island. It’ll take you around an hour and a half to reach Kefalonia’s north coast.
Outdoor adventures in Katelios
If you’re in search of a more active holiday to Katelios, you’ll find adventures nearby on land and sea.
- Although adrenaline-fuelled watersports aren’t on offer on Katelios Beach itself, your hotel will be able to recommend nearby operators. Jet skiing and water-donut rides are a few of the activities available from nearby Skala.
- More laidback ocean adventures along Kefalonia’s southern coast include sea kayaking and sailing trips. You’ll explore little-visited bays and get the chance to pick up some new skills along the way.
- For hiking, make tracks for Kefalonia’s forested interior. Easy trails start from Katelios itself while longer day-hikes can even take you to Megas Soros, the highest peak in the Ionian islands.
- If you prefer your adventures to be petrol-powered, hire a quad bike and zip along the island’s quiet back roads as you please.
- Fishing boats still moor up in Katelios’s harbour, and some offer organised trips for visitors. You’ll sail along the coast, help the team haul in the day’s catch and lunch on freshly prepared, just-caught fish on board.
Most popular Katelios hotels
Your Katelios questions answered
Even winters on Kefalonia are mild, but the best time to visit Katelios is between June and October, when average temperatures range between 22°C and 28°C. Even in May, the first warm days can be a delight – although you’ll find Katelios to be quiet out of season.
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 16:25 20 January 2021