Kamari holidays 2021
Gentle waves lap the black-sand beaches at Kamari. This small town is one of Santorini’s most beautiful seaside spots, set on the southeast coast and backed by the impressive Mesa Vouno mountain.
Lifeguards and loungers make Kamari’s Blue Flag beach one of Santorini’s safest and most enjoyable for families. There are lots of activities on offer for little ones, while Kamari’s paved promenade is lined with cafés, tavernas and bars. There are even more restaurants and hotels just inland, although holidays in Kamari aren’t limited to the coast. Some of Santorini’s most fascinating archeological sites are just a short drive away.
Hiking from Kamari
There are more ways to relax on Kamari holidays than kicking back on the beach. If your secret to destressing is strapping on a pair of walking boots, you’ll find plenty of easy trails to tackle. Some will take you to ancient monasteries, others past chapels where it’s said Greek princesses once hid from pirates.
Why book Kamari holidays
Must-visit historical sites
The ruins of Ancient Thera are an important historic site…that also boasts some gorgeous sea views
Try the local wine
Go on a wine tour – our top thing to do in Santorini!
Discover the best beaches
We love the black volcanic sands of Kamari Beach
Perfect for watersports
Truly get to know those crystal clear Aegean waters with a bit of scuba diving
Effortlessly explore the rest of the island on a boat tour taking you around the island
Sample the local food
You’ll find the intense flavour of local tomataki (always drizzled in olive oil!) in anything from Greek salads to tomatokeftedes
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Kamari holidays
Whether you choose to stay on the coast or use your hotel as a base to explore the rest of the island, you’ll find plenty to do on holidays to Kamari.
- The volcanic black-sand beach is Kamari’s big draw. Spend at least one day doing nothing more than soaking up the sun, perhaps taking a spin on a pedalo or hiring a kayak when you need to cool off.
- Ancient Thera, overlooking Kamari and the Aegean, is one of Santorini’s most important archeological sites. The Roman, Byzantine and Hellenistic ruins here date back to the 9th century BC.
- A different period of Santorini’s history comes to life at the beautiful Byzantine church of Panagia Episkopi in the village of Episkopi Gonia. It was built in 1115 and even withstood the earthquake that shook the island in 1956.
- There’s superb diving offshore from Santorini. Kamari has several dive operators offering both PADI training and small-group dives. Visibility is excellent year round and you might spot damselfish, barracudas, sea horses and parrot fish.
- Heading north to watch the sunset from Oia village is an unmissable day-trip. The views from the edge of this rocky caldera are the most famous on Santorini.
Adventure activities in Kamari
Jet skiing, surfing and paddleboarding are just a few of the activities that await on Kamari breaks.
- In a little more than two hours you can circle Santorini from Kamari on a jet-ski “seafari”. Experienced guides will take you into the heart of the caldera, a remnant of the volcanic eruption that formed the island’s natural harbour some 70,000 years ago.
- Kamari is the best base on Santorini for kitesurfing. Pros can kit-up by themselves, while plenty of schools offer classes for first-timers.
- Want to get your adrenaline kicks without even leaving the beach? Fly behind a speedboat, legs dangling over the ocean, beneath a parasail. You can ride solo or with a friend.
- The Aegean’s small waves make it perfect for stand-up paddle boarding (SUP). Although keeping your balance can be hard as you see fish darting beneath you in the crystal-clear waters.
- Flyboarding – essentially being propelled into the air by a water-powered jetpack – is a must for thrillseekers. Sessions off Kamari beach start at just ten minutes.
Most popular Kamari hotels
Your Kamari questions answered
Santorini has a long summer season. Average temperatures in Kamari top 20°C from May through to October, peaking in August at a balmy 29°C. The summer climate is dry and arid, and you’re unlikely to be rained off the beach.
Top Kamari hotels
5 Star Hotels
4 Star Hotels
3 Star Hotels
2 Star Hotels
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 11:46 20 January 2021