SEK: Swedish krona
Gothenburg Holidays 2020
One of Sweden’s major cities, Gothenburg, has major appeal for both tourists and locals. A city bursting with architecture, leafy streets and lanes, along with twisting canals which could be compared to Amsterdam. Encounter local cafes and eateries as you stroll around this enchanting and charming city.
One of the most pleasant things about Gothenburg is its waterfront location and number of canals. Providing a tranquil environment, you can’t go wrong with a Gothenburg city break. Admire the ships, museums and aquariums as you soak up the calming atmosphere that this Swedish city has to offer.
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Gothenburg holidays
Things to do in Gothenburg
Gothenburg holidays aren’t just all about the city life, there is plenty to do here if you’re a lover of the outdoors too. On top of that, Gothenburg has plenty of museums for its visitors, offering insight into aspects like art, culture and history.
- Liseberg – A great place to visit if you have the kids in tow. This theme park includes rollercoasters and other attractions.
- Gothenburg Botanical Garden – This lush green space includes greenhouses, a restaurants and lovely walking trails.
- Slottsskogen – A park which is perfect for a picnic or a morning run. In addition, there is a zoo with animals.
- Haga, Gothenburg – Haga is a wonderful area in the Swedish city full of cobblestoned streets and romantic pubs.
- Maritiman – This museum includes several vessels where visitors can discover and explore various ships from submarines and destroyers.
When to go
Generally, May to September is a great time to visit Gothenburg as during this period there are long hours of daylight and less rainfall. The summer months tend to see the warmest temperatures in Gothenberg, albeit hitting the early 20s. Once September hits, the days start to get darker and chillier, with winter sometimes hitting extremely cold temperatures. As a result, the summer time is a beautiful time to visit Gothenburg and sightsee around the city.
Average monthly temperatures (°C):
- January: 3° / -2°
- February: 3° / -2°
- March: 7° / 0°
- April: 12° / 4°
- May: 17° / 8°
- June: 20° / 12°
- July: 22° / 14°
- August: 22° / 14°
- September: 18° / 10°
- October: 12° / 6°
- November: 8° / 3°
- December: 4° / -1°
Places to eat
Sweden’s culinary scene boasts huge doses of seafood and fresh fish, and Gothenburg is no different. Hosting a range of dishes to suit vegetarians to spoonfuls of pink prawns, there is plenty to be excited about when it comes to cuisine in Gothenberg. As a result, you’ll see a mixture of small, local restaurants along with Michelin star delights and not forgetting tasty food trucks which can whip you up a meal in seconds. You can find something to suit your tastes and your budget during your Gothenburg holiday...like some of these amazing places:
- Jinx Food Truck
- Thornstroms Kok
- Kafe Magasinet
After sightseeing in the day, it’s time to venture out in the evening. What better way to let your hair down than experiencing the nightlife in Gothenburg? There are plenty of venues available here meaning it won't be hard to find something that appeals to you. Just off of the main boulevard, Avenyn, you can find venues ‘off the beaten track.’ You’ll also find tons of stylish and fun places including one of Gothenburg’s largest clubs.
- Port Du Soleil
- The Flying Scotsman
During your Gothenburg holiday, there is plenty of culture to explore. Thanks to their number of museums, it’s easy to pick up on aspects of the city’s culture that interest you. Whether it be art, automobiles or history, you’re in luck! Check out these top cultural visits in Gothenburg:
- Gothenburg Museum of Art – This museum features major art work created by well-known artists. It makes for the perfect day out thanks to its little bistro on site.
- Volvo Museum – Interested in cars? Check out both the older and the newer models from Sweden’s leading car manufacturer.
- Museum of Gothenburg – Such an intriguing city deserves its very own museum. Here, Gothenburg’s history can be traced throughout collections highlighting 12,000 years through time.
Gothenburg City Breaks
Gothenburg city breaks are intriguing and fascinating for every type of holidaymaker. Families, couples and friend alike can all find something to fall in love with in this Swedish city. Whether you love quaint little streets which ooze unique character or open green spaces where you can roam free and admire the natural surroundings, Gothenburg has plenty of different landscapes to enjoy. Use our smart search filter to narrow down your options when it comes to flights and hotels and soon you can be on your Gothenburg city break!
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes