Fantastic Funchal holidays 2021
From the quaint historic town to awe-inspiring natural beauty, holidays in Funchal are an irresistible blend of dramatic and delightful.
An oasis of green surrounded by sparkling blue ocean, the Portuguese island of Madeira has earned its reputation as the Pearl of the Atlantic. Its capital city? Funchal, a coastal gem where picturesque mountain peaks, lush botanical gardens and a keen sense of history combine. Sprinkle in a subtropical climate and you’ll soon see why package holidays to Funchal are a blissful bolthole at any time of year.
Mammoth mountains near Funchal
Cast your eyes upwards on holiday in Funchal and the city’s stunning mountain backdrop gazes right back at you. The pine-smothered valleys and rugged peaks of Pico do Arieiro are home to a network of magnificent hiking trails, while Miradouro do Juncal viewpoint is a favourite spot to watch the sunrise. Forgot your walking boots? No problem! Accessible roads right to the top of Pico do Arieiro suit every appetite for adventure.
Why book Funchal holidays
Explore the local markets
Bustling Mercado dos Lavradores even has a rooftop bar
Gorgeous Santa Catarina Park with its stunning views of Funchal Bay
Top city attractions
Ride up Funchal’s cable car to Monte
Art & culture
We love the old town Painted Doors Project
Lush natural wonders
Visit the Botanical Gardens & Santa Catarina Park
Sample the local food
Passion fruit and fresh seafood aplenty!
Most popular Funchal hotels
Your guide to Funchal holidays
Beaches in Funchal
Madeira island’s volcanic terrain and rocky outcrops promise unique days beside the seaside.
- Pebbled Praia Formosa is the largest and most popular beach on the entire island. Waterfront restaurants are a tempting diversion, but the secret tunnel through the caves to the east is the real highlight.
- Around the corner from Praia Formosa is the slightly more secluded Praia do Arieiro. The sunset views are superb, and best enjoyed atop the V-shaped rock jutting out to sea.
- Doca do Cavacas natural pools may be small in size, but they’re big on appeal. This series of aquamarine swim holes are carved from volcanic rock and offer direct steps down into the ocean.
- Little Praia São Tiago is nestled beside the eye-catching yellow fortress, Forte Sao Tiago. When you’re not swimming below the 17th century battlements, there’s a raised concrete deck for sunbathing.
- Near Funchal’s Old Town, Barreirinha beach complex is dominated by an enormous sweeping sun terrace. Soak up the rays on a lounger then launch yourself into the Atlantic waters.
History and culture in Funchal
Holidays to Funchal are the perfect place to make the most of Madeira’s unique island identity.
- Don’t be fooled by the humble exterior of Senhora do Monte church. Inside, this 18th century hilltop chapel is an ornate gold-gilded beauty, with prime panoramas over the city to boot.
- Big fan of football? CR7 Museum pays homage to Madeira’s legendary son, Cristiano Ronaldo. Born in Funchal, it’s a tasteful display of the player’s achievements from Golden Boots to Champions League trophies.
- The Gothic altars and carved ceilings of Funchal Cathedral are more than just pretty. Dating back to the early 16th century, it’s one of the few Madeira landmarks still surviving from this time period.
- Portuguese explorer, João Gonçalves Zarco, helped discover Madeira island. You can visit his former home, Quinta das Cruzes, and wander among many fine works of art, interesting furniture and gardens.
- Make the most of a cheap holiday to Funchal in April and catch the Madeira Flower Festival. It’s just as enchanting as it sounds with costumes, dances and flower-festooned parades.
What our local experts say
5 best things to do in Funchal
A holiday to Madeira isn’t complete without exploring the stunning capital city – Funchal. Located on the island’s south coast, in Funchal you’ll encounter endless gardens blooming with colour, a chance to discover the island from above in cable cars and amazing viewpoints which put the city ...Continue reading
Seven delightful days in Funchal
The Portuguese island of Madeira is the perfect year-round destination, as its climate remains temperate throughout the season. Its capital, Funchal, occupies a picturesque spot on the south coast, with a backdrop of lush mountains, plenty of attractions and annual events that enchant visitors who experience them. From scenic walks ...
Your Funchal questions answered
Hot, dry summers and mild winters typify the weather in Funchal. Spring and autumn are favourite seasons to visit due to the comfortably warm temperatures. Funchal is also popular for winter sun as the nearby mountain peaks provide shelter from the wind.
Top Funchal hotels
5 Star Hotels
- The Cliff Bay Hotel
- Pestana Casino Park
- Enotel Lido Madeira
- Pestana Grand Premium Ocean Resort
- Quinta Jardins do Lago
- Melia Madeira Mare Resort & Spa
- Belmond Reids Palace
- Quinta Da Casa Branca Estalagem
- Pestana Carlton Madeira
- Royal Savoy
- The Vine Hotel
- Pestana Royal Premium All Inclusive Ocean & Spa Resort
- Vidamar Resorts Madeira
- Quinta Do Monte Estalagem
- Quinta das Vistas Palace Gardens
- Savoy Palace
4 Star Hotels
- Baia Azul
- Porto Mare Hotel
- Four Views Monumental
- Muthu Raga Madeira Hotel
- Hotel Porto Santa Maria
- Quinta Bela Sao Tiago
- Quinta Penha De Franca
- Pestana Promenade
- Hotel Alto Lido
- Madeira Panoramico
- Golden Residence
- Pestana Ocean Bay
- Pestana Village Garden Resort
- Pestana Palms Ocean Aparthotel
- Enotel Quinta do Sol
- Allegro Madeira (Adults only)
- Jardins D'Ajuda Suite Hotel
- Duas Torres
- Ocean Gardens
- Castanheiro Boutique Hotel
- Pestana CR7 Funchal
- Pestana Casino Studios
- Turim Santa Maria
3 Star Hotels
2 Star Hotels
1 Star Hotels
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 21:55 11 April 2021