Florida Holidays 2019
Florida is the southernmost state in the USA, straddling the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. Known as ‘The Sunshine State’ that’s exactly what you can expect! Its temperatures remain steady all year round with the summer months hitting the early 30s.
Florida is home to thrilling Walt Disney World theme parks, extraordinary wetlands, glamorous cities and laid-back islands. Add to that breath-taking beaches, fabulous shopping and dining, and it's easy to see just why Florida is a holiday-maker's dream.
Cheap Florida holidays
Holidays to Florida can also be a cheap holiday! Choose from a range of hotels and flights as well as when you'd like to go and you could be jetting off!
Last minute holidays to Florida
If you're thinking about heading to Florida soon, look no further than our last minute deals. Soak up the sunshine, lounge around on the beach and shop til' you drop with our late deals on flights and accommodation!
Most popular hotels in Florida
Avanti Palms Resort and Conference Center
Doubletree By Hilton Orlando at Seaworld
International Drive, Florida
Rosen Inn International
Seralago Hotel & Suites Maingate East
Rosen Inn, closest to Universal
Quality Inn At International Drive
Hampton Inn Orlando Near Universal Blv/International Dr
At a glance
- Time Zone: GMT +
- Average flight time: 8h 50m
When to go
(°C) Avg. High Temp
Things to do in Florida
You'll be struck on Florida holidays by the fact that it is such a hugely diverse destination. Its beaches, sunshine and nightlife are complemented by world-class theme parks, two glorious national parks, a superb network of walking trails, trendy cities, and relaxed islands. Florida is one of the top holiday destinations in 2019.
Things to do in Orlando:
- International Drive – Puts you in prime position of Orlando’s famous parks and attractions, as well as a number of recreational and dining opportunities.
- Walt Disney World - Orlando, the self-proclaimed 'theme park capital of the world', is home to Walt Disney World, the most visited theme park on earth.
- Universal Studios Florida – Call yourself a movie buff? Visit this park for movie-themed rides and attractions.
- SeaWorld – Filled with exquisite marine life like dolphins and penguins. You’ll also find a number of rides here too.
Things to do in Miami:
- South Beach – This area is not only known for its beaches, but there are fantastic nightlife hotspots here too. Perfect for an adults only night out.
- Vizcaya Museum & Gardens – Perfect for those who love their historical sites and facts. Roam around the gardens or admire the sculptures.
- Lincoln Road Mall – Calling all shopaholics! Wander down this busy promenade to explore Miami’s shops, restaurants and galleries.
Free things to do in Miami:
- Art Deco District – Boasting unique architecture, take a self guided tour through this area to discover pastel-coloured buildings and bright neon signs.
- Wynwood – The walls of Wynwood are full of artistic street art which is well worth a visit.
- Everglades National Park - These vast wetlands have been designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO and provide a refuge for a huge range of animals, birds and plants. Tours through the quiet waterways may bring glimpses of endangered creatures such as the American crocodile.
Florida has numerous cities and resorts, from Tampa and St Petersburg on the Gulf Coast to Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale on the east coast. Whilst Kissimmee puts you in the perfect spot to visit Florida’s theme parks and attractions.
Florida family holidays
Family holidays in Florida are one of the most talked about and anticipated experience for any family! Once you book those flights, you'll be counting down the days until you go. When it comes to hotels, try the Rosen Inn International or Disney's Coronado Springs Resort.
Family breaks in Orlando are just perfect for families. The Walt Disney World Resort in Kissimmee is the main attractions. Disney characters and loads of thrilling rides make this a paradise for the little ones.
Education and fun are woven together superbly at Kennedy Space Center, Epcot and Gatorland, and trips into the Everglades by water or air are unmissable for nature lovers while in Florida.
Discovery Cove and SeaWorld Orlando offer up infinite experiences with creatures from the depths of the oceans, and swimming with dolphins may well be the highlight of the holiday.
Florida history and culture
Miami is well-known for being a hub of multiculturalism, in fact it has received the nickname “Capital of Latin America” due to its large quantity of Spanish speakers. It has a huge Cuban influence due to the relatively close proximity of Cuba to Florida. The Little Havana area boasts the rich Cuban heritage through art and food. So, for a dose of Latin America, a trip here is worthwhile.
You may also see some Cuban influences in Tampa too. Head to the Tampa Bay History Centre where you can explore around 12,000 years of the history of Florida. Learn all about seafaring conquistadors and Cuban cigar rollers on Ybor City streets. Make a trip to the Tampa Museum of Art which features various collections of classical and modern artwork.
Best nightlife in Florida
Florida offers amazing nightlife to suit all tastes and pockets. You can dance under the stars at one of the glamorous clubs in Miami's gorgeous South Beach neighbourhood or enjoy a relaxed cocktail by the pool in St Petersburg. Kick back with an ice-cold beer at a dive bar on the Keys or take in some live music in Orlando!
Other than Miami and St Petersburg, other larger cities, including Tampa and Jacksonville, have a lively bar and club scene. One of the top destinations for nightlife is, of course, Orlando's theme parks. Who doesn't enjoy a little night-time Walt Disney.
Florida beach holidays are truly the stuff of dreams. With more than a thousand miles of glorious coastline, there are plenty of sandy spot to be discovered:
- South Beach - Miami’s South Beach is full of glitz and glamour and is also home to a long 2.2 mile stretch of sandy shores.
- Clearwater Beach – Located in Clearwater near Tampa, it’s considered one of the best beaches in the U.S.A, mostly because of its lovely sands and clear waters. Get it?
- Cocoa Beach – An hour’s drive away from Orlando, enjoy the sun here as well as deep sea fishing.
- Fort de Soto’s North Beach - From St Petersburg, a 25-minute drive will bring you to the protected sands of Fort de Soto's North Beach, where you can rent a canoe or kayak to explore the little bays and visit the fascinating fort that dates back to the 19th century.
- Daytona Beach – Featuring a pier, you can enjoy walks out into the ocean and beautiful sea views.
Florida holidays for couples
Florida offers plenty of dreamy destinations where you can lose the crowds and relax with your partner, plus some of the most glamorous places on earth to shop, party, wine and dine. The key to a lovers heart is often via their stomach, and whether it's Kissimmee and its classic diners, or Clearwater and its seafood restaurants, there's plenty of choice for romantic meals in Florida.
If you're looking for relaxing holidays, head to the Keys, but if you're looking for glitz and glamour, then Miami's famous South Beach is for you. As for romantic places to dine, you could crack open some stone crabs with locals on the beach, or make reservations at one of Miami's glittering supper clubs, to dine in style and then dance the night away.
If you’re already thinking about what you can eat out in the Florida, it’s safe to say there is a huge variety of international cuisine on offer.
Restaurants on International Drive:
- Blazing Tomato Pizza & Pasta – You can’t go wrong with Italian! From thin crusted pizza’s to flavourful pasta dishes, you can have it all here.
- Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar – This restaurant chain is perfect for a quick bite to eat. We just hope you don’t mind getting your hands messy!
- Boston Lobster Feast – This ‘all you can eat’ diner is filled with seafood delights as well as salads and veggies to accompany your meal.
Restaurants in Orlando:
- Bull & Bear Steakhouse – Situated in the Waldorf Astoria hotel, this is the best place to go for a piece of steak. Close to Walt Disney World, you should make time for a meal here.
- Norman’s – The world-renowned chef Norman Van Aken has created a wonderful menu that is a blend of Latin, Caribbean and Asian cuisine.
- Seito – Offering Japanese cuisine, you can sample anything from sushi to ramen.
People also ask
How long is the flight to Florida?
From the UK, it takes approximately 9 hours 20 minutes.
What is the cheapest time to go to Florida?
Late May or early June are cheap times to head to Florida as well as early September.
What is the wettest month in Florida?
June tends to be the wettest month in Florida. For Orlando, June and August have the most rainfall. For Miami, it rains the most in June and September.
When is peak season for Florida?
Florida’s peak season include the winter months through to Easter (December – April) and the summer (June – August).
What is the driest month to visit Florida?
January is Florida’s driest month.