Ferrara at a Glance
This beautiful Renaissance city will surprise and delight you at every corner. Ferrara lies in the heart of the great plain of the Emilia Romagna region, in the west of Italy. Here you will find art, ancient architecture and a city of character and atmosphere.
Perfect Family Holidays in Ferrara
Governed by the Este family for three centuries, this city is like no other. It has been wonderfully planned making it easy to wander around. The importance of its Mediaeval and Renaissance sights have been recognised and given UNESCO World Heritage status.
- Throughout the summer there are many reasons to visit apart from the usual spectacular sights. In May there are many celebrations around the Palio of St George and in August there is the Ferrara Buskers Festival. The streets are packed until late evening with street musicians. You can endlessly sit, watch and listen from street corners and open-air cafés.
- The Renaissance city walls remain mostly intact. A great way to see them is to hire a bike and cycle round. Alternatively, join the locals in jogging the 9km of wall.
- Be sure to try the local delicacies, ‘coppia’ bread and ‘cappellacci’ pasta stuffed with pumpking and parmesan cheese. A spicy cake covered in chocolate and ‘salama da sugo’, a mix of pork products, are also unusual culinary delights found in the city.
Top Attractions in Ferrara
- Thousands of people come together in August for the Palio di San Giorgio dressed in Renaissance costumes. They walk together in a parade to the Piazza Ariostea and then participate in various games. There is a team to represent each part of the city. This is a bizarre and entertaining sight like no other in the world.
- The Castle Estense is an iconic Medieval building in the centre of town and surrounded by a moat.
- The Romanesque Cathedral is also a spectacular building with an ornate façade dating back to 1135 AD.
Book With Confidence
You can trust us we're Fully Licensed.
Why wait? Book your holiday to Ferrara today on loveholidays.com for a tailor made break to suit you taste and your budget.