The mythological birthplace of Zeus never fails to bewitch travellers. Ancient treasures, sun-drenched beaches and gourmet treats are just the start on holidays in Crete.
Are you a history buff, a beach lover or a foodie? Crete holidays tick all the boxes. The largest of the Greek Islands boasts evocative remnants of the Minoan civilisation, Renaissance mansions and Byzantine monasteries. Breathtaking beaches feature among the world’s best and charming villages highlight time-honoured traditions. To keep you going, the famous Cretan diet serves up local cheeses, seafood and wine.
Outdoor Adventures in Crete
Hike through rugged gorges and cycle among olive groves. Explore off-road trails on a jeep safari and plunge into the sea to discover unique volcanic reefs. Crete is a holiday destination brimming with natural masterpieces to enjoy in the great outdoors. Sunny swimming weather lasts from May to October and mild winters are great for sightseeing.
Why book Crete holidays
Discover the best beaches
Secluded bays, sandy shores and family-friendly beaches
Must-visit historical sites
Don't miss out on the Palace of Knossos
Sample the local food
Delectable cheese, succulent fish & some of the best olive oil you've ever tried
Cultural hotspot not to miss
Stroll past the Venetian buildings in Rethymno's Old Quarter
Try the local wine
Discover one of the oldest wine-producing areas in Europe
Popular with couples
Stroll down Agios Nikolaos' colourful harbour
Top resorts in Crete
Analipsi sits pretty on the north coast of Crete, about 13 miles east of the vibrant island capital of Heraklion …from £191 pp
If you’re looking for plenty of sun, beautiful beaches and thriving nightlife for your 2020 or 2020 holiday, jet off …from £126 pp
Gouves is a small resort on the northern coast of Crete that offers sandy beaches, crystal clear seas and plenty …from £141 pp
Anissaras is a beautiful, hilly cape located next to the big, buzzing resort of Hersonissos. It is dotted with lots …from £128 pp
The coastal town of Malia is Greece’s party capital with thrilling nightlife and a big personality. Although Malia holidays have …from £117 pp
Take a step back in time to the fascinating, mythical world of ancient Greece with a 2020 holiday in Rethymnon. …from £141 pp
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Crete holidays
Top 5 things to do in Crete
From activities for the whole family to romantic escapes and cheap holidays with friends, there’s fun for everyone in Crete.
- Walk the eight kilometre-long Imbros Gorge through wildflower meadows to the seaside village of Komitades. The narrowest part of the gorge is a spectacular sight, at under two metres wide.
- The shimmering turquoise waters and white sands of Balos Lagoon are world-famous. The lagoon is formed between Cape Gramvousa and Cape Tigani, with placid water that creates swimming heaven in the heart of nature.
- Swirls of pinkish-white sand combine with the translucent blue sea at Elafonisi Beach. Wade through shallow water to reach Elafonisi Islet. You’ll find a classified nature reserve that’s home to rare plants and serene coves.
- Spend a day hiking, climbing or even driving through lush Theriso Gorge, which is in easy day trip distance of Chania.
- Potamos Beach sits next to Malia Wetland, with a crystal-clear stream that forms seasonally and flows onto the golden sands. You’ll find sunbeds and umbrellas, along with plenty of sandy space to spread out.
History and culture in Crete
Explore Bronze Age ruins, Minoan pottery and colourful Cretan culture on holidays in Crete.
- Collections at the renowned Heraklion Archaeological Museum span 5,500 years, from the Neolithic period to Roman times. Discover frescoes, jewellery, sarcophagi and Minoan art.
- The Venetian and Ottoman eras are on fine display in the Old Town of Rethymnon. Wander the narrow streets of the preserved Renaissance city to discover atmospheric mansions and traditional tavernas.
- Lined with pastel-coloured buildings, shops and tavernas, Chania’s Old Venetian Harbour is a charming reminder of the past. Get happily lost in the jumble of laneways that intersect grand buildings.
- Aquaworld is Crete’s first Aquarium and Reptile Rescue Centre. Most of the inhabitants were rescued due to injury. Get up-close to Raja the Burmese python and Blondie the giant tortoise.
- Delve into the famous Cretan diet at the Cretan Olive Oil Farm. Check out an old olive oil press, take cooking lessons, learn about medicinal herbs and, of course, taste original Cretan products!
What our local experts say
5 Luxury places on a budget
Love luxury but think you don’t have the budget? Well, loveholidays is here to change your mind! These fabulous destinations offer holiday-makers all the luxury trimmings from infinity pools to exclusive charm – all without breaking the bank. So, if you want luxe for less, check out this list of ...Continue reading
How to plan a romantic escape to Crete
The idea of a romantic getaway is exciting and might be just what you need for a break. You might be thinking about the palm lined beaches of the Caribbean or a historical city break in Rome. But what about something which combines the beaches with the history? What about ...
Exploring foodie heaven in Crete
A trip to the Greek Islands doesn’t disappoint, especially when it comes to their cuisine and traditional dishes. The largest Greek Island – Crete – has so much to offer to those looking for foodie heaven. Cretan cuisine is big on freshness, colours and textures. From Greek Yoghurt and cheese to ...
Most popular Crete hotels
Your Crete questions answered
Choose from an array of beautiful beach resorts on a getaway to Crete. Chania, Rethymnon and Heraklion all offer beach resorts with city action nearby. Quieter areas include Elounda, Sissi and Maleme.
Top Crete Holiday Destinations
Wondering where to go for a cheap holiday in Crete? Check out some of our top destinations:
- Adelianos Kampos
- Aghia Galini
- Aghia Marina
- Aghia Pelagia
- Aghii Apostoli
- Aghios Nikolaos
- Agia Marina
- Bali (Crete)
- Chania Town
- Kato Daratso
- Kokkini Hani
- Kokkinos Pirgos
- Nea Kydonia
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes