Canary Islands holidays 2020
What type of holiday do the Canary Islands offer?
With enviable hours of sunshine all year, stunning beaches, and spectacular landscapes ranging from volcanoes, forests, mountains and deserts, UNESCO has designated three of the Canary Islands as Biosphere Reserves.
Each of the islands are great for anybody who loves nature and enjoys hiking - Mount Teide is a must see, whether you decide on the five hour hike or jump in a cable car right to the top.
The Canary Islands are great for:
- All inclusive holidays - The Canary Islands are a summer holiday favourite with British tourists due to their wealth of stunning beaches. With a wealth of great package holiday options, you can find a cheap beach holiday in minutes.
- Last minute holidays - Last minute and still undecided? Check out these 20 things to see and do in the Canary Islands.
- Cheap holidays - The Canary Islands are ideal if you are searching for a cheap family holiday. The kids will be entertained with the beaches, theme parks and hotel entertainment, while the adults can enjoy the traditional old towns and local food and drink.
Canary Islands at a glance
Discover the best beaches
From rich golden sands and rolling dunes to impressive black lava beaches
Perfect for watersports
The islands boast world-class surf spots
Lush natural wonders
A mix of volcanic scenery, golden dunes, subtropical greenery & lush mountain tops
Cultural hotspot not to miss
Visit La Laguna’s historic Old Quarter
Great national parks
Climb up Tenerife’s Mount Teide or visit Lanzarote's volcanic Timanfaya National Park
Rest & relaxation
Popular yoga & meditation retreat
Take short flights from the UK and you’ll suddenly find yourself in the glorious subtropical conditions of Tenerife, a small …from £91 pp
Situated off the north-west African coast, Lanzarote is best-known for its year-round warm climate, making it a comfortable contender with …from £139 pp
Fuerteventura is the second largest of the Canary Islands, lying just off the coast of North Africa it enjoys a …from £116 pp
Gran Canaria’s incredible diversity has earned its reputation as a continent in miniature. From dazzling beaches to volcanic craters and …from £116 pp
The most beautiful and unspoiled of the Canary Islands, La Palma encompasses tradition, natural beauty and true escapism. Whether you want …from £280 pp
-->--> La Gomera is one of the quieter Canary Islands. It attracts nature lovers from across …from £333 pp
Top resorts in Canary Islands
Playa de las Americas
Playa de las Americas holidays will allow you to embrace one of the most exciting destinations in Tenerife, boasting superb …from £156 pp
Oozing sophistication, glamour and a whole lot of Tenerife charm, Costa Adeje provides the perfect mix of sun, style and …from £161 pp
Located on Lanzarote’s stunning east coast, in the shadow of Africa, a holiday to Costa Teguise will not disappoint. This …from £153 pp
The small fishing village of Playa Blanca abundant in character and charm. It is one of the biggest resorts in …from £139 pp
Caleta de Fuste
For fans of Fuerteventura, our cheap holidays to Costa Caleta, or Caleta de Fuste as the locals call it, makes …from £116 pp
Puerto del Carmen
Located on the southeast coast of Lanzarote, Puerto del Carmen blends traditional charm with modern all inclusive hotels and amenities, …from £148 pp
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Things to do in Canary Islands
Things to do in Tenerife
Spoiler alert, all the Canary Islands have lovely beaches, but there is plenty more to see and do besides.
Things to do in Tenerife
- Volcano El Teide, one of the world’s largest volcanoes, this active giant and its surrounding national park are one of the most visited natural wonders in the entire world.
- Siam Park, an incredibly popular Thai-themed water park is the place to go to slip, slide and get the adrenaline flowing.
- Cueva del Viento. If you ever fancied walking around inside giant caves created by lava flows, then this is the one for you. Take a guided tour through these amazing natural wonders.
Things to do in Lanzarote
- Timanfaya National Park. Nearly 20 square miles of nature reserve on volcanic soil. Much of the park is closed to open exploration to protect the delicate ecosystem but there are several options to get a glimpse of some of it, including tours by camel.
- César Manrique Museum. Manrique’s impact on the island cannot be understated. As an activist for its protection against overdevelopment, his architectural output and his artistic styles dominate the island. A complicated figure, his home and studio have been preserved as a museum since his death in 1992.
- Montana Roja is great for hikers and walkers. This is not the easiest climb but almost everyone that manages to walk to the top says that the views are worth it.
Things to do in Fuerteventura
- Bentancuria is the historic capital of Fuerteventura dating back to 1404, it wasn’t replaced as the capital until 1834. An interesting option for an afternoon excursions.
- Central Comercial El Campanario. A pretty little shopping street that will provide you with local fresh produce, essential staples and souvenirs, as well as bars and restaurants to pass the time.
- Corralejo Dunes. A spectacular set of sand dunes that run right up to the ocean. Basically a giant beach, be prepared to come across the people going au naturale here.
For more about Gran Canaria, La Gomera & El Hierro, check out our blog on the top 20 things to do in the Canary Islands
Things to do in Gran Canaria
There's always something to do in Gran Canaria, whether it's strolling the buzzing streets of Playa del Ingles or dining al fresco in San Agustin.
- Lap up the waves at Las Canteras Beach - who doesn't love the beach? On a Gran Canaria holiday, it's a must to visit the ever-popular Las Canteras Beach.
- See the Maspalomas Dunes - these sand dunes are simply fascinating... Capture picture-perfect shots and walk along the dunes for a unique Canarian experience.
- Visit Roque Nublo - if you love the outdoors, Gran Canaria has loads of natural beauty to soak up. Venture out on a hike to the Roque Nublo (an iconic rock). You won't regret it! The views are irresistable.
- Las Palmas Cathedral - fancy seeing some of the island's stunning architecture? The capital's cathedral is considered one of the most important of Canarian religious architecture.
- Angry Birds Activity Park - this is one for the kids! If you're looking for a day out to keep them busy and tire themselves out, this Angry Birds themed park will surely do it.
What our local experts say
5 reasons why a Gran Canaria holiday will make you ...
Family holiday? Couples retreat? A catch up abroad with your mates? It doesn’t matter what the occasion is or who you’re travelling with, Gran Canaria is the place to be! Plus, if you’re looking for a dose of optimism or a spring in your step, a holiday ...Continue reading
Winter in the Canaries with Barceló Hotel Group
The sunshine in the UK hasn’t disappointed, but it’s those rainy days that get you thinking about the inevitable cold. As summer slowly comes to an end, that can only mean one thing… Winter is on the horizon. But there’s no need to be that person who ...
Summer in the Canaries with Barceló Hotel Group
It is unlikely you haven’t heard about Spain’s Canary Islands. The ideal destination if you enjoy exploring nature reserves, lazing along the beach and appreciating sensational volcanic scenes, this dazzling bunch of islands ought to be on your radar.
Most popular hotels in Canary Islands
- Playa Blanca
- Caleta de Fuste
Canary Islands weather
Your Canary Islands questions answered
All of the Canaries can be pretty cheap to visit as they all boast wonderful natural surroundings that you can explore for free. Gran Canaria is perfect for cheap beach holidays, whilst Tenerife has great activities like hiking which won’t break the bank.
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes