Calella holidays 2021
Coastal Calella is a holiday favourite on the sweeping sands of Costa Brava in Catalonia. Located close to both Barcelona and Girona, it offers the perfect combination of award-winning beaches and natural attractions within easy reach of much-loved cities.
It’s no coincidence that Costa Brava translates as ‘Wild Coast’. Calella sits on a wide open stretch of golden shoreline backed by a lush, mountainous natural park and close to the smaller, more rocky bays of the north. History, good weather, fine Catalonian cuisine and a multitude of activities ensure a good time for couples, families and anyone after a bit of fun in the sun on holiday in Calella.
Calella’s historic highlights
While Calella’s main draw today is as a thriving tourist destination, it has deep roots from pre-Roman times to pirate sagas. Engage with this fascinating past at the wonderful Museum-Archive Municipal J.M. Codina i Bagué and visit eye-opening Refugio Antiaereo, a series of tunnels opened as an anti-air raid shelter in 1937, which details more recent realities from the Spanish Civil War.
Why book Calella holidays
Discover the best beaches
Platja de Calella is a lovely, wide, sandy beach perfect for family fun
Top attractions to visit
Lighthouse Calella boasts panoramic views and there's even a museum to visit
Rest & relaxation
Calella is the perfect spot to just lay back, chill out and take a breather
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Calella holidays
Beaches in Calella
Calella’s location means that many of the beaches are continuations of the same long stretch of coastline. Town-hop to experience different award-winning beaches.
- Spend a day on the great golden sweep of Platja de Calella. This centrally-located beach is the town's biggest and most popular with restaurants, bars and sunbeds, all backed by the main promenade.
- Settle on Platja de Garbi in the shadow of Calella Lighthouse. This Blue Flag-winning sandy stretch also has a floating water park just offshore.
- Make for vibrant Platja de La Riera in adjoining Pineda de Mar. It's easily accessed, well-equipped with sunbeds and sports, and backed by the promenade and cycleway.
- Along the coast is Astillero Beach. Much like the others, this wide open golden sandy beach is well-equipped and easily accessible.
- The big sandy beach of Malgrat de Mar warrants a day trip from Calella. It's a huge, laid back space that's great for families with easy access to the water.
Quiet beaches in Calella
Leave the wide open beaches of Costa Brava behind. Find quiet bays tucked into rocky coves ideal for escaping the crowds and truly relaxing on holiday in Calella.
- Lose yourself among the small coves of Platja de Les Roques. The beautifully clear waters lapping Rocky Beach are encased within the fragrant pine trees and dramatic cliffs of scenic Montnegre Natural Park; facilities are sparse.
- Find the peaceful side of Playa Roca Grossa (aka Cabra Beach). Accessed via steep steps, it's naturally divided in two by rocks with one half notably quieter than the other; not ideal for young children.
- Pack a bag for a day in the secluded bay of Cala Morisca. Facility-free, this petite cove is reached via a short walk from Lloret de Mar, and gives way to shallow, clear water with the promise of complete tranquility.
- Enjoy the best of both worlds at Cala Roca Pins. This small cove, lapped by invitingly clear warm waters, does have a few facilities but its size naturally limits the crowds.
- If you hire a car, drive to Tossa de Mar. This pretty seaside town is dotted with many small award-winning rocky coves and bays.
Most popular Calella hotels
Your Calella questions answered
The best time to visit Calella for great weather is in the summer months from late May to late September. July and August are the hottest months, with July the sunniest.
Top Calella hotels
5 Star Hotels
4 Star Hotels
3 Star Hotels
2 Star Hotels
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 11:20 21 January 2021