BGN: Bulgarian lev
An enticing mix of natural wonders and rich traditions, Bulgaria invites you to dive into adventure. Drift from the sandy shores of Black Sea resorts to ancient towns and snow-kissed mountains in the heart of the Balkans.
More than 120 monasteries dot Bulgaria’s incredible landscapes. They join Greek, Roman, Byzantine and Turkish influences to create a history lover’s heaven. Sofia, the cosmopolitan capital, leads the way towards the future with trendy galleries, boutiques and clubs, making it a new and exciting city break spot. Enchanting folklore and a mouthwatering culinary scene weave through this exciting tapestry of holiday bliss.
A spotlight on outdoor adventures
Turquoise water laps at the edge of golden sands along Bulgaria’s coast. Blend your budget-friendly beach holidays with thrilling activities across mountain ranges and mysterious forests. Four distinct seasons bring skiing in winter, water sports in summer and an explosion of colourful landscapes for hiking in between. Whether you’re on a romantic escape, a family holiday or travelling solo, prepare to fall in love with the many faces of Bulgaria.
Why book Bulgaria holidays
Cultural hotspot not to miss
Plovdiv’s Roman Theatre, Rila Monastery, the Old Town of Nessebar
Discover the best beaches
Enjoy the softest fine-sand beaches on the Black Sea coast
Try the local wine
Bulgaria produces great-quality wine for exceptional value
Sample the local food
We love the eclectic mix of Balkan flavours – rich in local produce and fresh seafood
Lush natural wonders
Misty mountains, rolling valleys & golden-sand beaches
Popular for skiing
In winter, hit the slopes in Borovets, Pamporovo & Bansko
Top resorts in Bulgaria
-->--> Sunny Beach is Bulgaria’s largest beach resort, located along a breathtaking, three-mile-long stretch of golden …From £197 per person
The aptly named Golden Sands resort in Bulgaria is full of sun, sea and – you guessed it – stunning …From £109 per person
An amazing resort nestled up high on Rila Mountain, Borovets is one of the best places to experience skiing in …From £143 per person
Set on a beautiful peninsula, with an ancient town and gorgeous beaches, it’s easy to see why Nessebar has become …From £193 per person
Obzor holidays offer a perfect mix of history, small town charm and beautiful beachside relaxation. Located on the edge of …From £166 per person
Located on Bulgaria’s north-east coast, just over 30 minutes’ drive to the larger city of Varna, a holiday to Albena …From £185 per person
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Bulgaria holidays
Bulgaria top attraction: history & culture
As it was founded in 681, it’s safe to say that Bulgaria delivers a large dose of architectural, artistic and cultural heritage to discover.
- Dominating the skyline in Veliko Tarnovo, Tsarevets Fortress is the former residence of medieval tsars. The royal palace, houses, churches and walls shine with colour during the night-time sound and light show.
- The 3rd-century Thracian Tomb of Sveshtari was only discovered in 1982. The UNESCO-listed site is located in the Sboranovo Historical and Archaeological Reserve.
- Take a romantic stroll around ancient Sozopol, which is the oldest settlement on the Black Sea coast. Cobbled streets weave around wooden houses on the edge of a narrow peninsula and two stunning beaches.
- Plovdiv’s Roman Theatre of Philippopolis was once the home of hunting and gladiator games. Now, the ancient structure fits right into modern life as a hub of opera, music and drama performances.
- On a 100-metre high cliff near the village of Madara, a carving of a knight standing victoriously over a lion creates a dramatic sight. It’s located in the Madara Archaeological Reserve, which also features an eco-trail, caves and chapels.
Top 10 things to do in Bulgaria
This is one of Europe’s most budget-friendly destinations for cheap holidays. So, set your sights on a seriously abundant itinerary of things to do in Bulgaria.
- Try the food of the Thracians, challenge each other to a medieval duel and explore ancient civilisations at the Historical Park. The open-air museum is one of the largest in the world.
- On a backdrop of misty mountains, Rila Monastery is Bulgaria’s top historical and spiritual landmark. Discover grand archways, colourful frescoes and religious art within the stone walls.
- It’s always a good time for free wine tasting. Winery Messembria is nestled in the Old Town of Nessebar, with an authentic bar serving up some of the country’s best drops.
- Walk the romantic cobblestone streets to museum-hop in Plovdiv’s atmospheric Old Town. It’s one of the oldest living cities in the world and features the Ancient Theatre and the Roman Stadium.
- Lose yourself within a swirl of colourful wings at the Butterfly House in Varna. Depending on the season, you might get the chance to see the beautiful residents emerging from cocoons.
- With seven glacial lakes, dramatic mountains and abundant wildlife, Rila National Park is a hiker’s paradise. If you love climbing, it’s home to the country’s highest peak, Musala.
- Let the kids loose on the climbing walls, playgrounds and interactive exhibits at Muzeiko in Sofia. The science and technology museum offers fun education in astronomy, geology, palaeontology and more.
- The quaint village of Arbanasi is home to Chiesa della Nativita, otherwise known as the Church of the Nativity of Christ. One of the oldest sections dates back to 1597 and you’ll find elaborate frescoes inside.
- Delve underground into the natural marvel of Devetashka Cave. Stretching for two kilometres, it’s a wonderland of stalactites, miniature waterfalls and majestic rock arches.
- Travel back in time to the Communist era with a visit to the Red Flat in Sofia. You’ll experience a slice of everyday life during the Cold War.
What our local experts say
Why we love Bulgaria
Beautiful and unique, Bulgaria is a country full of surprises. As more and more travellers discover its beauties, it’s better to book your Bulgaria holiday now before everyone else does, in order to enjoy this hidden gem. Why do so? Keep reading to discover our reasons why we love ...Continue reading
When to visit Bulgaria
Gorgeous beaches, delicious food and great nightlife – Bulgaria easily attracts bigger and bigger crowds every year thanks to its unbeatable prices and stunning natural beauty. You’ve already heard about the cheap drinks, the ridiculously fine sands and the fantastic parties, but do you know what’s the best time ...
Our top 5 ski holiday destinations
If you’re looking for somewhere different for your 2017/2018 ski holiday, then we’ve got the perfect ski destination for you. If you want to mix some winter sun with your skiing, why not head to the Sierra Nevada in southern Spain or Tenerife in the Canary Islands ...
Most popular Bulgaria hotels
- Sunny Beach
Your Bulgaria questions answered
The flight from London to Sofia takes about three hours. Or, choose to fly from Manchester to Burgas in under four. You’ll find flights with British Airways, Ryanair, Wizz Air, Lufthansa and Bulgaria Air.
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 19:48 18 January 2021