Berlin Holidays & City Breaks 2020 /19
The German capital of Berlin is not only a historical city, but a city that intertwines the contemporary with the past. Historical landmarks which represent the ruins of Germany’s tainted past are easy to come across in the city, and many have now undergone a transformation. The historic Berlin wall is a symbol of the division that once split the country, however, the contemporary artwork which now covers the wall shows the barriers which have been broken. Other sights across Berlin act as a constant reminder of unification, like the Brandenburg Gate. Berlin also has a thriving art scene which isn’t only spotted on the city’s well-known wall. A Berlin city break is packed full of history, and you can’t visit without seeing the capital’s Holocaust memorial, which is a strong reminder of its past.
Why book Berlin holidays
Top city attractions
Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag Building and Berlin Cathedral
Unmissable art scene
East Side Gallery is where Berlin's street art scene is unleashed, check out the amazing work along this section of the Berlin Wall
Sample the local food
Doner kebabs, currywurst and schnitzel are all tasty must-try foods
Must-visit historical sites
Make sure to visit the Berlin Wall Memorial, Checkpoint Charlie and the Holocaust Memorial
Museum Island is a complex of 5 top must-see museums covering everything from art to history
Don't miss Alexanderplatz - Berlin's large public square, great for eating out, shopping and recognised by it's tall iconic tower
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Berlin holidays
Top 5 things to do in Berlin
Berlin weekend breaks are jam packed with fun and plenty to do. There are a variety of sights which appeal to all types of holidaymakers. History buffs, culture vultures and did we mention shopaholics? Whatever it is you’re looking for during a Berlin break, you’ll be sure to enjoy yourself. Top things to do in Berlin include:
- The Berlin Wall – This long stretch of concrete once acted as a barrier that split the capital into two from 1961 to 1989. It was created by the German Democratic Republic (East Germany). Destruction of the wall started in 1990 and finished in 1992. Now, it is a canvas for artists from around the world.
- Alexanderplatz – This square is the centre of all Berlin city breaks. Built up with modernised buildings and a 365-meter TV Tower, Alexanderplatz is home to many shops, bars and restaurants.
- Reichstag Building – Home to the German parliament, the building features a glass dome boasting panoramic views of Berlin.
- Checkpoint Charlie – This spot acted as a boundary for East and West Berlin during the Cold War, used by Western Allies.
- Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe – This section of Berlin features 2,711 columns forming a maze-like memorial dedicated to the Jews that died during the holocaust.
When to go
Berlin is a fantastic destination, because it doesn’t matter what time of the year you visit, you’ll have a great time regardless. However, the summer months are a great time to embark on your Berlin holiday. The weather is usually hot and sunny, making it perfect to explore the city and discover the sights. The evenings and night time can still get a bit chilly, but overall, it’s the best time to visit the German capital if lovely weather is what you’re looking for. If you enjoy milder, more pleasant temperatures, head to Berlin during the spring or autumn months.
What our local experts say
How to have an instagrammable holiday to Berlin
Germany’s capital of Berlin combines urban grit with cosmopolitan allure. Boasting a vibrant culture and a profound history, Berlin holidays open your eyes to a city of many marvels and wonders. From architectural sights to an enviable nightlife, there is so much within the capital which can be crowned ...Continue reading
Your ultimate guide to Berlin nightlife
The title of ‘the city that never sleeps’ is thrown about quite easily, but we can honestly say it is one worth crowning to Berlin. The German capital not only knows how to party, but it also doesn’t have a closing time, meaning many clubs and establishments are open ...
A European city break bucket list
When it comes to city breaks, Europe knows exactly what to offer. Striking cities brilliantly mixing the old with the new? Stunning coastal places combining the sophistication of a city getaway with the sublime comforts of a beach escape? Yes and yes, again! Quickly add all of the below to ...
Most popular Berlin hotels
Your Berlin questions answered
There are quite a few great areas to stay in Berlin. These include Mitte, Prenzlauer Berg, Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain and Neukölln.
All hotels in Berlin
5 Star Hotels in Berlin
4 Star Hotels in Berlin
- Hotel Riu Plaza Berlin
- NH Berlin Alexanderplatz
- nhow Berlin
- Hotel California Am Kurfuerstendamm
- TWO Hotel Berlin by Axel - Adults Only
- Titanic Chaussee Berlin
- Scandic Berlin Kurfürstendamm
- Vienna House Andel's Berlin
- Leonardo Royal Hotel Berlin Alexanderplatz
- Movenpick Hotel Berlin
- Classik Hotel Hackescher Markt
- Hotel Berlin, Berlin
- Pestana Berlin Tiergarten
- Hecker's Hotel Kurfürstendamm
- Park Inn by Radisson Berlin Alexanderplatz
- Scandic Berlin Potsdamer Platz
- City Hotel Berlin East
- Select Hotel Berlin Checkpoint Charlie
- Select Hotel Berlin The Wall
- Crowne Plaza Berlin - Potsdamer Platz
- SANA Berlin Hotel
3 Star Hotels in Berlin
- Centro Park Hotel Berlin-Neukölln
- AZIMUT Hotel Kurfürstendamm Berlin
- Comfort Hotel Berlin Lichtenberg
- Hotel AMANO Grand Central
- Best Western Hotel am Spittelmarkt Berlin
- Hotel Europa City
- Concorde Hotel Am Studio
- Enjoy Hotel Berlin City Messe
- Vienna House Easy Berlin
- Hampton By Hilton Berlin City Centre Alexanderplatz
- Mark Apart Hotel
2 Star Hotels in Berlin
1 Star Hotels in Berlin
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes