BGN: Bulgarian lev
Discover Bansko holidays 2021
Bansko draws tourists from all over Europe to hurtle down the slopes during ski season. Come summertime, biking and hiking in stunning mountain surrounds is the main attraction.
A holiday in Bansko is a treat for outdoorsy types. Set in the Bulgarian mountains it draws skiers and snowboarders in winter and walkers, bikers and climbers in summer. It’s not all about exercise, however. The cobbled old town is home to museums, churches and historic houses. And the mountains beyond offer wine tasting, hot springs and wildlife.
Winter adventures in Bansko
Bansko sits high up in the Pirin Mountains in Bulgaria, so it’s perfectly placed for winter sports and ski holidays. Keen on downhill skiing or snowboarding? There are pistes at altitudes up to 2,600 metres. For more gentle pursuits, explore the countryside on snowshoes or cross country skis. In town, meanwhile, there’s ice skating, sledging and exuberant après ski.
Why book Bansko holidays
Popular for skiing
Bansko is an excellent, budget-friendly ski resort with 75km of piste
Sample the local food
Go to a local mehana for hearty local food that will keep you suitably filled & warm
Lush natural wonders
Nestled in the striking Pirin Mountain, right next to the Unesco-listed Pirin National Park
Great for family holidays with plenty of kid-friendly slopes and ski schools
Hit the nightlife & bar scene
With a good selection of bars and clubs, you can expect a great night scene here after a day on the slopes
Rest & relaxation
Most of Bansko's hotels offer indulgent Apres spa packages
Your guide to Bansko holidays
Bansko holidays are full of variety, whether you’re after family fun, high-octane thrills or a romantic break.
- Most people come to Bansko for ski holidays. It has some 70 kilometres of pistes, with ski runs from beginner to advanced. It’s also ringed by magical cross-country routes.
- Gained some aches and pains on the slopes? Soak them away in the thermal mineral springs just outside town. Come in the late afternoon and watch the sunset while you soak.
- Lively Pirin Street is Bansko’s main drag. Shop for souvenirs, check out the market or down a local beer. Whatever you choose, dramatic mountain views are all around.
- UNESCO-listed Pirin National Park sits on Bansko’s doorstep. Bears, wolves and jackals live amongst the pine forests and granite peaks. But you’re more likely to spot the birdlife.
- To get acquainted with Bulgaria’s brown bears take a day trip to Belitsa Bear Park. It’s a sanctuary for former dancing bears with plenty of hills and forests for them to roam.
Outdoor activities in Bansko
From hikes in the mountains to rafting a deep gorge, Bansko holidays are a treat for nature lovers.
- The Pirin Mountains aren’t short of hiking trails. For the best views head for the top of Vihren Peak. It’s the highest around with views over valleys and alpine lakes. Take a cable car halfway if you don’t want a full-on hike.
- The area around Bansko is perfect for mountain biking in summer. Whether you bash down hillsides or amble along dirt roads, the surrounding hills are an inspiring backdrop.
- For active types Bansko is just as good in summer as winter. Perfect your rock climbing outside town or head further afield for rafting and canyoning in Kresna Gorge.
- An alternative way to explore the terrain is on horseback. Bansko’s riding school arranges trips into the surrounding mountains and forests. Breathtaking scenery is included.
- For a winter sport that doesn’t involve skis, try a snowmobile safari. You’ll zip through snowy forests and over frozen lakes before returning to Bansko for some much needed local brew.
What our local experts say
Why we love Bulgaria
Beautiful and unique, Bulgaria is a country full of surprises. As more and more travellers discover its beauties, it’s better to book your Bulgaria holiday now before everyone else does. Savour this hidden gem of a destination and you might just end up falling for it. Why visit Bulgaria ...Continue reading
When to visit Bulgaria
Gorgeous beaches, delicious food and great nightlife – Bulgaria easily attracts bigger and bigger crowds every year thanks to its unbeatable prices and stunning natural beauty. You’ve already heard about the cheap drinks, the ridiculously fine sands and the fantastic parties, but do you know what’s the best time ...
Your Bansko questions answered
There are hotels for every budget throughout Bansko, from large, luxury hotels to self-catering apartments. To get away from all the bustle try a village guesthouse in the hills outside town.
Top Bansko hotels
4 Star Hotels
3 Star Hotels
1 Star Hotels
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 07:42 9 March 2021