Bahia Feliz Holidays 2019 / 2020
Translating to ‘Happy Bay’, Bahia Feliz lives up to its name with a small but perfectly formed beach of dark volcanic sand, a host of bars and restaurants right on the seafront, and a delightfully relaxed atmosphere. However, with Maspalomas and Playa del Ingles nearby, a more lively setting is easy to reach.
Despite its small size, holidays to Bahia Feliz, Gran Canaria are still packed with things to see and do. It’s a popular wind-surfing spot and even has a small aerodrome, providing thrilling aerial sightseeing trips.
Further inland, you’ll find stunning mountains to explore, perfect for adventure-seekers and nature-lovers. Plus, the lively island capital of Las Palmas is just 40 minutes away by car!
Most popular hotels in Bahia Feliz
Bahia Feliz, Gran Canaria
At a glance
- Time Zone: GMT +
- Average flight time: 4h 5m
When to go
(°C) Avg. High Temp
Life in Bahia Feliz is slow and relaxed, making it the perfect destination for people who truly want a tranquil, laid-back holiday.
- Amble down to the beach and enjoy a day soaking up the gorgeous Gran Canaria sunshine. The beach here is a great place for a casual stroll or a spot of lunch. It’s fairly secluded and intimate, so expect plenty of peace and quiet. For a livelier beach experience, head over to Maspalomas or Playa del Ingles.
- Discover the delights of the little town in Bahia Feliz, where you can explore the quaint shops and cafés.
- While there are plenty of things to do in Bahia Feliz, you can also venture further out. Take the kids for a fun-filled day at the water park in Maspalomas, or head inland to Palmitos Park, which has dolphin shows and stunning butterfly houses.
- Catch the sunset at the spectacular golden dunes in Maspalomas, a protected nature reserve and unmissable tourist spot.
- Fancy something thrilling? Take a flying lesson or helicopter tour from the nearby aerodrome.
- If you’re in the mood to sightsee, head to Las Palmas and check out the shops, bars, museums and cultural attractions.
The Canary Islands are one of Europe’s biggest tourist destinations and cater to the culinary tastes of visitors from all over the world. Restaurants in Bahia Feliz are quite varied, offering a wide range of cuisines to suit everyone.
- Bahia Feliz may be a small resort, but its broad spectrum of restaurants makes this the perfect destination for couples, families, foodies and fussy eaters!
- If trying the local specialties is on your list of priorities, you’ll love what Bahia Feliz has to offer. The island offers delicious, fresh seafood, including the usual suspects like sea bass and sea bream, to the more exotic choices, like wreckfish and parrotfish.
- Another popular dish is the succulent meat stew, found in various Bahia Feliz restaurants. It's traditionally made with chicken, beef or rabbit.
- Potatoes are a staple food in the Canary Islands. Natives have been cultivating at least twenty varieties since the 1600s, so you’ll find plenty of potato-based dishes on most menus.
- Papas arrugadas (wrinkled potatoes) is a must-try traditional dish, native to the Canary Islands. It comes served with a spicy mojo sauce. Delicious!
- Finish your meal with bienmesabe, a decadent almond and honey dessert.
Bahia Feliz is an ideal location for family holidays. With a quieter, more laid-back atmosphere, families can relax knowing that they won’t need to worry about loud bars and clubs nearby.
- Because the beach in Bahia Feliz is quiet with shallow water, it’s ideal for families with younger children, especially first-time swimmers.
- Older kids will really enjoy the water sports on offer. The town is well known for windsurfing, and you can hire equipment and book courses from a centre right on the beach.
- If long, sandy beaches are what your kids want, hop on the bus towards neighbouring Maspalomas or Playa del Ingles. The beaches here are fantastic, but once the day is over, it’s nice to leave the hustle and bustle of the livelier areas for the sanctity and peacefulness of Bahia Feliz.
- There are plenty of fun day trips within a short drive of the resort, including the water park in Maspalomas (10 minutes by car).
- Sioux City transports visitors into the American Wild West of 1857. Located in San Agustin, this incredible town is an exciting adventure complete with cowboys, shows, live animals and daredevil stunts. Both kids and adults will absolutely love it!
- Spend the day with the dolphins, parrots and birds of prey at Palmitos Park (25 minutes’ drive) or feed crocodiles at the Cocodrilo Park and Zoo (20 minutes away).
Bahia Feliz has a fascinating history, and plenty of interesting cultural sites to explore.
- If you want to learn more about the ancient culture of this island, don’t miss the amazing Cueva Pintada (Painted Cave) in Galdar, about an hour’s drive from Bahia Feliz. It’s one of the most important archaeological sites on the island, with rock paintings dating back millennia.
- In Las Palmas, the lively island capital, you’ll find a host of great cultural attractions. These include the former home of Christopher Columbus, where you can learn all about his grand expeditions.
- Also in Las Palmas is the very entertaining Elder Museum of Science and Technology. It’s a great place to take curious-minded children.
- Pueblo Canario in Las Palmas is a recreation of a traditional Canary Island village. It has plenty of interesting displays, including folk-dancing and local music.
- Vegueta, the original main settlement in Gran Canaria before Las Palmas took over in the 15th Century, is still drenched with ancient culture. Many of the 15th century streets and houses are still preserved.
Bahia Feliz beach is volcanic, with a mixture of sand, shingle and pebbles.
- If sunbathing is on your itinerary, you’ll need a decent beach mattress. Thankfully, the gorgeous sunshine makes up for the lack of softer sand.
- The Bahia Feliz beach is ideal for families with children. You’ll find bars and restaurants just a stone’s throw from your beach towel.
- Take advantage of the windsurfing and kite-surfing opportunities available on the island. You can rent equipment or take courses from the surf centre on the beach.
- There are plenty of other beaches near Bahia Feliz, including the huge, sandy stretches at Maspalomas and Playa del Ingles, which both offer a host of water sports.
- A little closer to Bahia Feliz is the smaller beach at San Agustin, which has been awarded a Blue Flag and features lots of amenities, including bodyboarding and surfing.
The nightlife in Bahia Feliz is laid back and relaxed. You won’t find lots of nightclubs within this peaceful area of Gran Canaria, but that doesn’t mean you have to miss out on a wild night of drinking and dancing.
- If you’re looking for some serious nightlife, safe in the knowledge you can return to your quiet hotel to recuperate, hop in a taxi to nearby Maspalomas or Playa del Ingles. These are major resorts with a whole slew of bars, clubs and attractions, including (particularly in Maspalomas) plenty that cater to the LGBTQ community.
- For something more relaxed, enjoy a local beer or glass of wine at one of the Bahia Feliz bars on the seafront, while watching the sunset.
- Take a stroll through the little town to find a traditional tapas bar, where you can eat and drink in great company. Tapas is the ideal choice for people who like to try a little of everything, as the menu is made up of smaller dishes.
- Don’t miss out on Garbo’s Dinner Show, a spectacular attraction where waiters wow you with fantastic musical entertainment.
Peace and quiet, oodles of charm and a pretty little bay make Bahia Feliz an ideal destination for spending a relaxing and romantic holiday with your partner.
- It’s called ‘Happy Bay’ for a reason! With a charming appearance and a delightful atmosphere, couples can truly relax in Bahia Feliz.
- Take a stroll over the rippling dunes of the protected nature reserve at nearby Maspalomas. Romance is sure to be sparked as you watch the sands turn golden with the sunset.
- Enjoy an evening cocktail on the beach while burying your toes in the sand, before a romantic dinner in one of the delightful restaurants or tapas bars.
- If you’re in the mood for some livelier fun, head into Maspalomas or Playa del Ingles for a fantastic choice of bars and clubs. Both are only a 10 minute taxi ride away.
People also ask
How do I get to Las Palmas from Bahia Feliz?
The easiest way to get to Las Palmas from Bahia Feliz is to drive, which takes approximately 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can hire a taxi or take the bus to the capital city.
Can you drive around Gran Canaria?
Yes. Driving in Gran Canaria is very safe.
What is the currency in Gran Canaria?
Gran Canaria uses the euro.
What plugs are used in Gran Canaria?
Gran Canaria uses the standard two-pin plug common throughout Europe.