JOD: Jordanian dinar
Aqaba Holidays 2021
The port city of Aqaba is located in Southern Jordan along the Gulf of Aqaba, which branches off of the Red Sea. Aqaba enjoys a hotel desert climate, with the summer months reaching highs of 40 degrees Celsius.
Aqaba is best-known for being Jordan’s top beach destination, hosting a range of water sport activities like scuba diving and windsurfing. Plus, there are a few historical sights to see too including Ayla and the Aqaba Fortress.
There’s plenty going on in Aqaba, but it’s well-suited to families and beach holidays in Jordan. Especially, for those who would love to explore the Red Sea and all it has to offer. Whether you’re looking for an all inclusive hotel, half board or full board, Aqaba has it all!
Why book Aqaba holidays
Must-visit historical sites
Visit Mamluk Castle, Sherif al-Hussein bin Ali Mosque, the ruins of Ayla, Aqaba Archaeological Museum
Lush natural wonders
This is your gateway to the famous desert of Wadi Rum
Discover the best beaches
Spend a day on the beach by Berenice Beach Club
Perfect for watersports
Discover the colourful reefs of the Red Sea with some fun diving & snorkelling
Sample the local food
Sample traditional sweet pastries like the delicious pistachio baklava
Fab shopping scene
You can’t visit without a browse through the local souqs. Plus, Aqaba is a shopping heaven…
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Aqaba holidays
Things to do in Aqaba
Although Aqaba is well-known for its beaches, there are still plenty of other interesting sights to see and things to do. Whether it is religious sites, historical buildings or natural landscapes, Aqaba provides a fantastic base to explore southern Jordan.
- Aqaba Archaeological Museum – If you’d enjoy a history lesson about Aqaba, this is the place to go. The museum features a wide range of artefacts, some of which date back to a whopping 4,000 BC.
- Ayla – These city ruins highlight a significant history as Ayla is the first city to be founded outside the Arabian Peninsula in the 7th century.
- Aqaba Bird Observatory – Those who love bird watching will enjoy the 70+ species that flock here during the migration season. The greenery of wetlands in this area provide a diverse setting compared to the desert landscapes of Jordan.
- Wadi Rum – This desert land is also set in southern Jordan, making Aqaba the perfect place to start your trip here. Soak up the vibrant colours of the landscape whilst exploring major landmarks via foot, camel or 4x4.
- Aqaba Fortress – Otherwise known as Aqaba Castle, Mamluk Castle or Aqaba Fort. The fortress was built in the 12th century by Crusaders. However, once Ayla was recaptured, the fortress was subsequently destroyed and now the ruins remain.
There is a selection of public and private beaches to discover whilst in Aqaba. Especially if you’re looking for relaxation and to explore the depths of Jordan’s waters.
- South Beach – This public beach is free to enter and great for families thanks to its clear water. As a result, it’s perfect for snorkelling too, although it can get quite crowded at times.
- Berenice Beach – A private beach club, you can expect great standards and amenities. It’s a wonderful spot for snorkelling with coral and fish. There’s also a restaurant and towels are provided.
- Mövenpick Beach Club - Yet another private beach club, for a fee you’ll be able to enjoy all the benefits (unless you’re already a guest here of course!). Enjoy the shores of the Jordanian Red Sea as you take a dip.
- Coral Beach – This quiet and peaceful beach is a great choice for families. Especially because of its shallow waters. Plus, its name comes from the fact that there is a wide range of colourful coral to explore around here, making it popular with divers.
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 05:50 23 January 2021