Amsterdam Holidays & City Breaks 2020
Amsterdam holidays are simply bliss. The buzzing Dutch capital, is a gorgeous city of gabled mansions, trams, canals and parks, making it one of the most popular destinations for a European City Break.
Amsterdam tourist attractions
Perfect for a city break in 2020, the Dutch capital, Amsterdam, is home to a trio of historic art museums, like the Rijksmuseum, the Stedelijk and the Van Gogh museum.
Plus, a host of other attractions that range from Anne Frank’s House, to the Rembrandt House Museum, to the lovely floating flower market.
There are oodles of inviting cafés offering delicious coffee, boutiques, galleries and street markets. Don’t miss the famous Albert Cuypmarket, where you will find accessories, clothes and shoes (don’t forget your clogs), food, spices, furniture and more.
Where to stay in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, is famous for its nightlife and liberal lifestyle, so if that’s the type of holiday you’re after, De Pijp is a great place to stay.
For a more family-friendly city break, Plantage is a good option because of its quiet atmosphere and nearby attractions, such as the Hortus Botanicus, the Artis zoo, and many museums.
Wherever you decide to stay there are plenty of cheap hotel deals and a great selection of boutique and luxury hotels to choose from.
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is around 20 minutes via public transport to the Amsterdam Centraal station. Don’t forget, there is also the option of Eurostar if you are travelling from London.
Amsterdam is great for:
- Last minute holidays - Amsterdam is great for christmas markets during the festive season, full of tulips in January, and warm and lively in the summer. Check out our range of centrally located bed and breakfast hotels.
- City breaks - If you’re looking for a cheap weekend break or a longer holiday, Amsterdam is a great option. Once you’re there, you can enjoy free walking tours, free boat trips along the waterways or hire a bike for little money to cycle around the city like the locals.
Amsterdam at a glance
Top city attractions
The Anne Frank House, Royal Palace of Amsterdam & Dam Square
Hit the nightlife & bar scene
Everything from small jazz cafés to rock gigs and cool underground clubs
Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh Museum are a total must
Unmissable art scene
From Rembrandt to Van Gogh + a vibrant contemporary art scene
Explore the city
Take a stroll down the picturesque streets of Jordaan
Explore the local markets
Home to amazing food, flowers, books and antique markets!
Things to do in Amsterdam
Things to do in Amsterdam
Amsterdam weekend breaks transport you to a city that truly has something for everyone: superb museums, beautiful canals, elegant architecture, gorgeous parks and some of the best shopping, restaurants and nightlife to be found anywhere. Plus, there is such a wide range of hotels you can definitely find the right spot for you, even at the last minute.
Amsterdam's top attractions
- Anne Frank's House - Embark on a self-guided tour around the house where Anne Frank and her family hid from the Nazis during WWII.
- Rijksmuseum/Stedelijk/Van Gogh Museum - Culture buffs will be drawn to the trio of world-class art museums.
- Vondelpark - Enjoy a bicycle ride around this vast green area located in the city.
- Dam Square - The city's main square which features the Royal Palace.
- Nine Streets/Jordaan Neighbourhood - Amsterdam is a brilliant city for shopping, these areas both have independent boutiques and galleries – and the city’s famous cafés are perfect for a break.
What our local experts say
Local guide: 48 hours in Amsterdam
A spellbinding city of canals, gabled houses and glorious parks, Amsterdam seems, at first glance, to have changed little since its Golden Age during the 16th and 17th centuries. But this is no museum city preserved in aspic: Amsterdam is one of the most stylish, energetic and innovative capitals in ...Continue reading
Top 10 must-sees on your Amsterdam city break
Our guide to the top 10 must-sees on your Amsterdam city break gives you the ultimate low-down on the highlights of this exciting city. Perfect for a weekend away or a short break, Amsterdam has everything from gorgeous architecture to canals, parks, markets and lots of fabulous shops, bars and ...
Most popular hotels in Amsterdam
Your Amsterdam questions answered
The centre of Amsterdam is often simply referred to as Amsterdam Centre. But locally it is known as Centrum or Binnenstad which literally means ‘inner city’.
All hotels in Amsterdam
5 Star Hotels in Amsterdam
4 Star Hotels in Amsterdam
- Park Centraal Amsterdam
- NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
- Ozo Hotel
- Corendon City Hotel Amsterdam
- Xo Hotels Couture
- Park Inn By Radisson Amsterdam City West
- Park Plaza Amsterdam Airport
- Leonardo Hotel Amsterdam Rembrandtpark
- Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Airport
- Xo Hotels Blue Square
- Inntel Hotels Amsterdam Centre
- The Manor Amsterdam
- Radisson Blu Hotel Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
- NH Amsterdam Centre
- Xo Hotels Park West
- Xo Hotels Blue Tower
- Westcord Fashion Hotel Amsterdam
- Van Der Valk Hotel A4 Schiphol
- Albus Hotel Amsterdam City Centre
- Dutch Design Hotel Artemis
- Westcord Art Hotel Amsterdam 4
- Crowne Plaza Amsterdam Schiphol
- Inntel Hotels Amsterdam-Zaandam
- Hotel van de Vijsel
- Urban Lodge Hotel
- Corendon Village Hotel Amsterdam
- Hotel Pontsteiger
- Olympic Hotel
3 Star Hotels in Amsterdam
- Apollo Museumhotel Amsterdam City Centre
- Quentin Amsterdam Hotel
- Omega Hotel
- Eden Hotel Amsterdam
- Central Park Hotel
- Bastion Hotel Amsterdam Zuidwest
- Tropen Hotel Amsterdam
- Hotel CC
- Hotel City Garden Amsterdam
- Europa '92
- Hotel De Looier
- Best Western Zaan Inn
- Kings Court
- Holiday Inn Express Amsterdam - Schiphol
- Hotel Espresso City Centre
2 Star Hotels in Amsterdam
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes