Sitting on the alluring Amalfi Coast overlooking the Gulf of Salerno, the town of Amalfi is a romantic getaway for anyone seeking sun, sea and sophistication.
This little coastal town is spread out among a series of dramatic, precipitous cliffs with sloshing azure seas at its shore. Once an important trading power during medieval times, Amalfi later became a popular holiday destination for the upper classes and aristocrats. Today, that sunshine still attracts thousands, as the region remains hot and sunny for much of spring and summer, and the pretty coves and beautiful lemon groves make for peaceful places to relax.
Amazing views in Amalfi
One of the most staggering things about Amalfi is just how picturesque the town is. No matter from what angle you look at it, it exudes Italian charm. There are plenty of places to get great views of Amalfi for those all important holiday snaps. Head down to the beach to photograph the whitewashed houses that cling to the cliff sides, or hike up to the Torre dello Ziro for an aerial perspective. The best vista, of course, is from the water – hire a boat and take it out to sea for gorgeous views back to the incredible Amalfi Coast.
Why book Amalfi holidays
Popular with couples
If you love art, beauty and glamour, Amalfi is your holiday match made in heaven!
Top attractions to visit
Don’t miss out on the gorgeous Amalfi cathedral, Cattedrale di Sant’Andrea
Lush natural wonders
See the emerald waters of Grotta dello Smeraldo…and spot the impressive underwater nativity scene
Fine dining scene
Indulge in delicious seafood lunch, followed up with a glass of sunshine-yellow limoncello!
Fab shopping scene
A shopaholic’s paradise, Amalfi’a boutiques will sure have something tempting to offer you
Go on a road trip
You know you have to do it while here: explore the gorgeous Amalfi Coast and stunning Sorrento
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Amalfi holidays
Top 5 things to do in Amalfi
This small town has a big personality and is a brilliant base for day trips and activities close by.
- When life gives them lemons, Italians make limoncello. The bright yellow citrus is ubiquitous here and reams of lemon groves cloak the hillsides. Stroll among them for a fragrant, relaxing afternoon.
- Strike out of Amalfi and into the Valle delle Ferriere, a gorgeous nature reserve with waterfalls, endemic plants and old ruins.
- Inside the rugged cliffs along the Amalfi Coast is a host of exciting natural wonder. Take a boat tour from Pennello Quay to the Emerald Grotto, a vast cave where the water emits an ethereal green light.
- Hike just over the headland east of Amalfi and visit the pretty white-washed town of Atrani where cobbled lanes and a lovely piazza await.
- With the ocean at its foot, there are plenty of watery adventures to be had on your Amalfi holidays. Try sea kayaking or snorkelling to get out and about on the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Historic highlights in Amalfi
Holidays to Amalfi offer an insight into this region’s fascinating and influential past. Here’s where to seek it out.
- The strikingly stripy duomo in Amalfi is one of the oldest buildings in town. Visit via the Cloister del Paradiso and see the crypt and a small museum inside the 9th-century Basilica del Crocifisso.
- Delve into Amalfi’s maritime history at the fascinating Antico Arsenale della Repubblica di Amalfi. Set inside an old armory with vaulted ceilings, there are statues, artefacts and documents to examine.
- A collection of coastal towers dot the coast here and one in particular looms over Amalfi town. Torre dello Ziro was built in the 15th century during a barrage of attacks by the Saracens. Come to see its crumbling walls and gorgeous views.
- The Museum of Paper offers a truly fascinating few hours. Exploring the history of paper production in the town, displays include old machinery and there’s a gift shop selling lovely souvenirs.
- Explore Amalfi’s rural history at the Museo La Valle dei Mulini. A somewhat disorganised but still compelling collection of antique tools and artefacts are on display, showing how artisans past used to farm the land.
What our local experts say
Where is hot in June?
Hoping to head off on a sunny break before the crowds start pouring in? Then take a look at our essential guide to where is hot in June! From the sun-kissed beaches of the Canaries to the fun-filled resorts of Orlando, we’ve picked out our top 10 favourite hotspots ...Continue reading
Where to go in Italy
Soak up the dolce vita with our essential guide to where to go in Italy. From the glamorous capital of Rome to medieval time capsules in Tuscany, we’ve picked out the best destinations in Italy for your holiday. Food, beaches, history, culture…we’ve got all the Italian highlights ...
Most popular Amalfi hotels
Your Amalfi questions answered
The best time to visit Amalfi is in spring or summer, when the weather is warmest and most reliable. The long sunny days mean the coves and beaches get more light throughout summer.
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 22:42 18 January 2021