Alvor holidays 2021
Holidays in Alvor are the ultimate in relaxation. Its sandy beaches, quaint seafood spots and fascinating historic core make for a dreamy escape in the Algarve.
Life moves at a deliciously slow pace in Alvor, an idyllic fishing village and resort on Portugal’s south coast. Higgledy-piggledy cobblestone streets and sugar-cube houses offer a taste of old-world Portugal. It’s also a perfect base for other exciting Algarve attractions, from mountain peaks to water parks.
Wildlife in Alvor
Alvor sits right on a river estuary, so it’s a wildlife-watcher’s paradise. On Alvor holidays, you’ll spot birds like flamingos wading in estuary waters, and maybe even see dolphins frolicking off the coast. Strike north for the rugged Serra de Monchique mountains and you might glimpse the short-toed eagle soaring overhead. Alvor diving hotspots reveal colourful marine life too.
Why book Alvor holidays
Must-visit historical sites
See the ruins of the Moorish Castle of Alvor or visit the beautiful Igreja Matriz de Alvor
Discover the best beaches
Explore the dramatic beaches of Costa Vicentina
Perfect for watersports
Alvor boasts excellent surfing conditions
Lush natural wonders
Charming villages amongst emerald beauty? Head to Serra de Monchique
No surprise there – this is another great area for golf in Portugal
Popular with couples
Hop on a traditional Portuguese sailing boat for a fun day out
Join the millions of customers finding better value holidays
Search your way
Enter as much or as little information as you’d like. You don’t have to know where or when you’re going to see our best prices
Compare deals quickly
We search through 1000s of flight and hotel combinations to bring you the best offers within seconds
Instantly see prices for each day
Save money by quickly finding the cheapest days to travel
Your guide to Alvor holidays
Top 5 things to do in Alvor
You’ll not run short of adventures on holidays in Alvor. Nature reserves, fun waterfront spots and architectural wonders await.
- You’ll find fascinating remnants of Portugal’s Moorish heritage in Alvor. Gaze up at the white-washed dome of Morabito de São Pedro, a striking Islamic worship site turned small Catholic chapel.
- Fancy a bike ride? A wooden boardwalk whisks cyclists over the rippling dunes and salt marshes of Alvor’s Ria de Alvor Nature Reserve. Keep your eyes peeled for migratory birds and critters like snakes and lizards.
- The Igreja do Divino Salvador is Alvor’s crowning architectural jewel. Dating to the 16th century, the sacred masterpiece is known for its intricate Manueline doorway. Peek inside to see a glittering, Rococo-style altar too.
- Alvor’s waterfront is at the heart of the action. Wander the cobbled path that lines the marina and watch fishermen pull in the catch of the day. Stick around for a sundowner by the water.
- Fancy casting your net further afield? Set aside a day to explore one of the buzzy resort towns on Alvor’s doorstep. Historic Lagos and fun-loving Praia da Rocha are two top picks.
Adventures on the water in Alvor
Hugged by an estuary and the Atlantic Ocean, Alvor is the perfect place to make a splash. Dive in for the ultimate adventure.
- Whether you’re a beginner or a pro, you can catch some waves in Alvor. Particularly in winter, Alvor’s windswept beaches draw keen surfers into the deep. Newbies can book a lesson with a surf school.
- Alvor’s coast is a dream for kayakers. You’ll discover craggy coves and striking rock forms on a paddling adventure. Venture a little farther east for kayak tours of the Benagil caves. These magical sea grottos hide a secret beach.
- Fishing is central to Alvor’s culture and you can experience it on a tour of your own. Private charters and family-friendly fishing excursions leave from Alvor harbour. The waters hold everything from sea bass to cuttlefish.
- Ready for an adrenaline hit? The clear-water lagoon at Ria de Alvor Nature Reserve is a hotspot for kitesurfing. Book a session for a heart-thumping adventure.
- You’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to snorkeling spots in Alvor. Kick off from powder-sand beaches or rugged coasts and discover a world beneath the water.
Most popular Alvor hotels
Your Alvor questions answered
Alvor is around 75km from Faro Airport, the main airport in the Algarve. The easiest and quickest way to make the journey is with a private transfer. You can pre-book your vehicle through a range of different companies.
Top Alvor hotels
5 Star Hotels
4 Star Hotels
3 Star Hotels
What our customers say
95% Customer satisfaction with over 17,000 feefo reviews
Hannah Stokes Angelie Macapagal John Rhodes
Prices last checked at 23:11 23 January 2021