Lanzarote Holidays 2019
Lanzarote is one of the Spanish Canary Islands situated off the north-west African coast. The island is best-known for its year-round warm climate.
Lanzarote's mix of great beaches and stunning volcanic landscapes mean there is always plenty see and do. The island’s volcanic terrain also means the island has national parks bursting with wildlife and elaborate cave systems to explore and enjoy.
With our Lanzarote holiday options, you can choose from popular resorts like Playa Blanca in the south of the island, Puerto del Carmen in the south east or Costa Teguise in the east, as well being able to choose from a wide range of accommodation, from self catering apartments or luxury all inclusive hotels.
All inclusive holidays to Lanzarote
All inclusive getaways in Lanzarote offer you the opportunity for a stress-free holiday where you don't need to sweat the itinerary. Enjoy all three meals in the comfort of your hotel as well as drinks and a range of fantastic facilities and entertainment.
Cheap holidays to Lanzarote
Who doesn't love a cheap holiday? Luckily for you there are a wide range of cheap holidays to Lanzarote to choose from. With our choice and deals of flights and hotels, you can't go wrong!
Most popular hotels in Lanzarote
Occidental Lanzarote Playa
Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
H10 Rubicon Palace Hotel
Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
Elba Lanzarote Royal Village Resort
Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
HL Club Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca, Lanzarote
Blue Sea Costa Bastian
Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Blue Sea Costa Teguise Beach
Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Hesperia Lanzarote Hotel
Puerto Calero, Lanzarote
Sol Lanzarote Hotel
Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote
At a glance
- Time Zone: GMT +
- Average flight time: 4h 10m
When to go
(°C) Avg. High Temp
Things to do in Lanzarote
There is plenty to do on holiday in Lanzarote. With mountains to hike, national parks to explore and endless hidden coves to discover. All this natural beauty is complimented by towns displaying the distinct architecture of legendary Lanzarote artist, Cesar Manrique. Though let us not forget the most important thing of all....water slides!
Things to do in Playa Blanca:
- Aqualava Water Park – A great day out for the kids, this water park includes five water slides as well as a wave pool and lazy river.
- Museo Atlántico – An interesting, underwater art museum including sculptures by Jason deCaires Taylor. Perfect for divers!
- Timanfaya National Park - If you fancy venturing out on a hike, you can also enjoy the unique natural beauty of the National Park, formed from rock formations and covering 51 square km in the Yaiza and Tinaja regions
Things to do in Puerto del Carmen:
- Rancho Texas Lanzarote Park – This theme park has water attractions and a zoo which features Sea lions and bird shows.
- Lanzarote Golf – Are you a keen golfer? This new 18 hole golf course is in a great location.
- Avenida de las Playas – This long street offers up shops, bars and restaurants. As well as access to beaches and the Gran Casino de Lanzarote.
Things to do in Costa Teguise:
- Lanzarote Aquarium – Discover Lanzarote’s marine life along underwater tunnels and tanks.
- AQUAPARK Costa Teguise – This waterpark is perfect for the kids during their holiday. Featuring slides, go karts and paintball, there’s plenty to be excited about!
- César Manrique Foundation – Enter the home of Lanzarote’s most famous art figure. Discover his artwork as you explore where he once painted.
Lanzarote family holidays
Lanzarote all inclusive family holidays:
When travelling with the family, a Lanzarote all inclusive resort might be what you're after. Whether you fancy a five-star water-side retreat or a family-friendly resort complete with kids’ clubs, there are some great options to choose from. Top all inclusive family hotels on Lanzarote include:
- Elba Lanzarote Royal Village Resort
- Blue Sea Costa Bastian
- Sol Lanzarote Hotel
- Gran Castillo Tagoro Family & Fun
- H10 Rubicon Palace Hotel
Best family holiday resorts in Lanzarote:
Costa Teguise - For those on a family holiday, Costa Teguise on the southeast of the island is a great destination, boasting a sheltered beach and a wealth of family attractions. Five sandy beaches, lots of watersports, and the Costa Teguise Aquapark. There’s no wonder Costa Teguise is ideal and a firm favourite.
Playa Blanca - This is also a great choice for familes thanks to its range of all inclusive resorts, sandy beaches and water parks. The centre is also perfect for those looking for a lively night out at a restaurant or a bar.
Lanzarote history and culture
As the second eldest island in the Canaria archipelago after Fuerteventura, Lanzarote rose from the sea during a massive volcanic eruption, around 15 million years ago. Historians theorise that Lanzarote was one of the first Canary Islands to be settled by the Phoenicians in 1100 BC.
For a brief history lesson, head to the Northern tip of the island where you’ll discover Lanzarote’s traditional side. Begin at the Cueva de Los Verdes, where passages and natural stairways lead to an impressive auditorium, before visiting Cesar Manrique’s legendary Jameos Del Agua - a volcanic cavern with rock gardens, a shimmering lake and a restaurant. Another Manrique creation is the Mirador del Rio, an attractively-designed observation point built into a volcanic lava rock cliff, which is now home to a chic bar and café.
Holidays in Lanzarote are famed for being very relaxed and so during the hours of two until five the siesta is still observed in many places, with shops and banks often taking a well-earned break. So, go with the flow and take it easy Lanzarote-style, you’re on holiday after all!
Lanzarote holidays are perfect if you are after a lively evening atmosphere and buzzing nightlife.
Puerto del Carmen - Head down to the bustling harbour town of Puerto Del Carmen, which is ideal for the party animal. Puerto del Carmen has the busiest nightlife on Lanzarote, with lots of live music and disco bars. The main centres of Centro Atlantico on the main strip of Avenida de las Playas have the most clubs, as well as the Old Town near the harbour. Club 18-30 is also in the town and has enhanced Puerto del Carmen's lively reputation.
Playa Blanca – This resort has the lively area of Centro Comercial Papagayo and the Centro Comercial Punto Limones next to the port. If you are in need of some sophistication, take a trip to Centro Comercial La Mulata and the Marina Rubicon for some up-market cocktails.
Costa Teguise - There are a variety of Irish bars in Costa Teguise in the area of Pueblo Marinero. There is also a selection of clubs and bars on the Avenida de Jabillo. To truly experience a taste of Spanish nightlife, with a distinct Lanzarote flavour, then visit Arrecife. Both the Playa del Reducto and Calle Jose Antonio are the best places to spend the night enjoying typical Spanish music and entertainment in Arrecife.
Best beaches in Lanzarote
If you want to relax and enjoy the sunshine, beach holidays in Lanzarote have it all.
Beaches in Playa Blanca:
- Papagayo Beach – One of the most popular beaches on the island due to its emerald waters and tranquil setting.
- Playa Blanca – This stretch of golden sand is great for families as well as snorkelling and swimming.
- Playa Dorada – Situated to the east of Playa Blanca, Playa Dorada is bigger and offers a range of water sports.
Other top Lanzarote beaches include:
- Famara Beach - For the thrill-seeker in you, head to Famara beach on the northwest coast. Away from the resorts, the curved bay is popular with surfers, windsurfers and kiteboarders. The backdrop of pink cliffs is also popular with hang-gliders.
- Playa de los Pocillos - For a touch of the iconic Lanzarote holiday lifestyle, head here for one of the most popular beaches on the island.
- Playa de Matagorda – The popular resort os Matagorda is smaller than other Lanzarote resorts, as a result the beach is a fantastic choice for families looking for peace and quiet.
Adult only holidays
Holidays in Lanzarote are a true paradise, especially for a couple’s holiday where you can both expect to enjoy peace, tranquillity and a whole lot of fun exploring the island. Start your journey in Arrecife, explore Timanfaya National Park, and head to the ever popular Costa Teguise.
For an adults-only trip, book a trip on Catlanza, Lanzarote’s famous catamaran, which sails from Puerto Calero twice a day. Make the most of the Platinum cruise, which includes lunch, snorkelling, and a Jet Ski ride. Puerto Calero itself is a nice spot, and you can enjoy the views of the neighbour Canary Island, Fuerteventura, before the ride.
During your stay, book the Club Siroco Serenity which is a 3-star adults only hotel or try the 4-star SENTIDO H10 White Suites. If you don’t mind other kids staying at the resort, you can’t go wrong with the 5-star Arrecife Gran Hotel & Spa.
Eating out in Lanzarote is great because it can be as cheap as you make it or as pricey. There are plenty of lunch deals to be found in restaurants which include your meal and drink for around the €20 mark. If you’d prefer to do your own food shopping for a self catered stay. Lanzarote has many supermarkets where you can find everything you need in one spot. You’ll find Lidl as well as Mercadona and Eurospar where you can get meat, fruit and veg as well as toiletries.
Restaurants in Lanzarote:
- El Guachinche de Luis – This authentic restaurant offers home-made tapas made from fresh produce.
- Blooming Cactus Vegetarian and Vegan Restaurant – The perfect place for meat-free dishes served up in a tapas fashion.
- Lagomar – This fascinating piece of architecture was built by César Manrique and Jesús Soto. You can enjoy Mediterranean dishes and cocktails here.
- Loma Alto – Located in Playa del Carmen, this family run restaurant has everything from steaks to mixed grills.
- La Cabaña – Offering a great dining experience, the food here is excellently presented and tasty!
People also ask
Is Lanzarote hot in October?
Yes, it’s still hot in Lanzarote during October. In fact, on average October sees highs of 26°C and lows of 18°C.
How long is the flight from the UK to Lanzarote?
The flight takes approximately 4 hours 30 minutes.
How many airports are there in Lanzarote?
There is one airport, Lanzarote Airport, otherwise known as Arrecife Airport.
Is Lanzarote warm in December?
Temperatures reach highs of 21°C and lows of 14°C in December. Which is slightly chillier than other months of the year but still warm for December.
Do they celebrate Christmas in Lanzarote?
Yes. Christmas is celebrated according to typical Spanish traditions in Lanzarote.