Egyptian escapes: Ordinary is ancient history
It’s no secret, we love Egyptian escapes and everything that comes with them; glorious swathes of sand plunging into the turquoise waters of the Red Sea, but also vast expanses of desert dotted with Bedouin camps and Indiana Jones-worthy adventures.
The best part? Deciding between the two is, well…ancient history. With the new flight route running between Sharm el Sheikh and Luxor, you can get the best of both worlds. Our experts have put together their favourite destinations for beach and beyond. Start on the shores of Sharm or Hurghada and tag on a trip to Egypt’s famous temples and the Nile.
Sharm El Sheikh
- Best beaches: Sharm has earned its stripes as an exceptional beach destination. You’ll discover a lot of the big beach resorts set amidst the lively tourist hub of Naama Bay, where you’ll find both serene, dive centre-spotted shores and buzzing bars.
- Sharks Bay is another popular choice for underwater pursuits. In this area alone there are 250 types of coral reef, bursting with colourful marine life, plus one of the world’s greatest shipwrecks. You also won’t be short of luxury hotels here with private access to the bay.
- Meanwhile, Nabq Bay is a piece of paradise for nature lovers. Part of Nabq National Park, this captivating coastline is fringed by lush mangroves. Enjoy tranquil shallows with knockout views of Tiran Island.
- Best beaches: Nestled between the desert and warm, turquoise waters of the Red Sea, you’ll find Makadi Bay. Splash out with wonderful water sports and enjoy live entertainment spilling out of the local hotel beach bars as the sun dips below the horizon.
- One of Hurghada’s longest-established public beaches, Old Vic can be found in a conveniently central location. Hit the banana boats, try your hand at parasailing, or simply watch the herons and hermit crabs from your sun lounger.
- For your very own castaway experience, take the 45-minute boat ride to Mahmya Beach, Gifton Island. Here, golden sands are thronged with thatched-roof bars, making for a super laid-back atmosphere. The sea is brimming with biodiversity whilst the birdlife is also superb.
- Top attractions: Known as the largest religious structure ever built, the Temple of Karnak complex is definitely one to visit. For neck-craning heights, go to the Great Hypostyle Hall, where a grand total of 134 columns tower over you at a staggering 80 feet high.
- Luxor Temple, on River Nile’s east bank, is one of the best-preserved ancient monuments in the world. Go through the iconic stone gateway and past figures of ancient Egypt’s greats, including Tutankhamun and Rameses II.
- Just last year, a 3,000-year-old sphinx-line avenue was unveiled after over seven decades of restoration. The Avenue of the Sphinx stretches along a 1.7-mile-long walkway, connecting Luxor Temple and Karnak. There are a grand total of 1059 statues for you to discover!
The Nile via Luxor
- Top things to do: Take to the skies in a hot air balloon at sunrise and soak up the river views from dizzying new heights. Ascend from the west bank and gaze over the temples at Luxor and surrounding mountains from a bird's-eye perspective.
- There are so many ways to enjoy the delights of the Nile by boat. If you’re only in the area for a day or two, take a short trip on a traditional felucca sailboat. Your guide will keep you well-informed and maybe even drop you at Banana Island for some fresh fruit and tea.
- If you’re looking for something more active, a kayaking or canoeing tour might be your speed. Paddle along the Nile, taking in the Luxor skyline from the water and spotting herons, kingfishers, and maybe even crocodiles!
Booking your holiday to Egypt
Feeling inspired by Egypt? At loveholidays we are here to take you there. Choose one of our incredible beach resorts on the Red Sea as your base, and take advantage of the direct flight between Sharm and Luxor for extra archeological adventures.
Secure your dream holiday from just £25pp
Get the best deal with our price match guarantee
Spread the cost
Pay monthly with our budget-friendly instalment plans
Find your perfect holiday in minutes
Loved by our customers
We're rated 4.2/5 on Trustpilot
Peace of mind on and before your holiday