"With powdery beaches and picture-perfect lagoons, the Dominican Republic is one of the most exciting places to discover!"
Paradisiacal Vibes in the Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic, found in the heart of the Caribbean, is a beach lovers’ paradise and an absolute must for those craving all things exotic.
If you are looking for some laid-back, Caribbean relaxation, then Dominican Republic holidays are ideal for you. White sand and crystal-clear waters make this a true haven for any sun, sand and sea worshipper. Situated in an archipelago of islands, the Dominican Republic continues to be one of the most popular long-haul destinations due to its stunning beaches, rejuvenating atmosphere and immense national parks.
Luxury by the Shore
Nothing screams relaxation like a beachside abode in the Dom Rep. Fall asleep to the crashing of waves and wake up to brilliant sunshine and glorious temperatures in places like Juan Dolio, whether in 5-star luxury and all inclusive indulging or self-catering digs and wallet-friendly beds, holidays in the Dominican Republic have the accommodation to suit everyone. Find your dream hotel in La Romana, the epitome of Caribbean beauty. Serving up a mix of colonial heritage, beautiful architecture and even better looking beaches, it’s a sure-fire way to facilitate your holiday of a lifetime.
For a beach break at its absolute best however, Boca Chica is a complete knock-out. Endless white-sand shorelines meet sapphire blue waters – all you’ll need to do is pick your spot and settle down, whether on the sand, a sun lounger or in a beachside bar sipping on a fruity cocktail in the shade – order some traditional grub to go with that drink!
A World of Natural Wonder
From the beautiful beaches to the jaw dropping lagoons, waterfalls and mountainous terrain, the diverse landscapes define this stunning country, all of which are awaiting your exploration. You’re likely to begin your Dominican Republic holidays however in the engaging capital city of Santo Domingo. Explore the incredible Old City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the oldest European city in the Americas. Get your fill of culture and history in the form of colonial buildings, churches and engrossing museums, the perfect warm up before your outdoor adventures.
Get to grips with nature during your holidays to the Dominican Republic, whether taking to the inland landscapes or ducking below the waves. Numerous water sports opportunities will allow you to explore the world beneath the water, with some fantastic diving and snorkelling trips giving you the chance to meet some of the Dominican Republic’s most charming inhabitants.
The country is home to nine fantastic national parks, offering exploration through a variety of landscapes including highlands and mountains. There are some great hiking trails to be enjoyed across the inland areas of the Dominican Republic – keep an eye out for National Park of the East and Lake Dudu for some particularly rewarding treks and trails. If you fancy a little bit more culture, hop over to the neighbouring island of Cuba for some more discovery and intrigue in a Caribbean paradise.
Famous for its palm-fringed beaches and laid back lifestyle, the Dominican Republic is the perfect holiday destination. If you're planning a holiday to this island paradise, check out our list of top things to do in Dominican Republic for some inspiring ideas and to help you get the most out of your holiday.
Beaches in the Dominican Republic:
- Visit Puerto Plata for perfect palm-fringed beaches, clear waters and offshore reefs that are perfect for snorkelling.
- Head to Cabarete and the beaches on the northern coast for winds and waves that are perfect for wind surfing.
- Escape the crowds at the undeveloped Barahona.
- For family fun, head to Boca Chica near the capital of Santa Domingo for safe, shallow waters that are great for swimming and splashing around.
Dominican Republic activities:
- Go on a whale-spotting adventure out into the bay, or try your hand at some exhilarating watersports.
- See exotic animals and swim with dolphins at Manati Park.
- Get your adrenaline fix; go white water rafting, ride inflatable tubes along rapids or go cascading in the islands waterfalls.
- Hike to the top of Pico Duarte for sweeping views across the island.
Dominican Republic nightlife:
- Enjoy a night out on the town; from relaxed beach bars to the lively nightclubs of Santa Domingo
- Listen to Merengue and Bachata music as you watch the sun go down with a refreshing Cuba Libre.
- Take in a concert at Santa Domingo's Casa de Francia.
- Sample some delicious cuisine. From local specialities like fried plantain and mangu to the finest international fare, the Dominican Republic's restaurants cater for every budget and taste.
Other popular attractions on holidays in the Dominican Republic:
- Get away from the beach and explore the busy port and narrow streets of Santa Domingo.
- See the stunning underground cave complex at Los Tres Ojos de Agua.
- Learn about the island's history at the Fort San Felipe Museum.
- Catch the cable car to the summit of Mount Isabel de Torres.